Stripping Baskets in Rivers.....

JayB

I like the combination stripping basket and wading belt. In addition to the obvious uses, it comes in handy when wading to another spot. Just leave the running line in the basket and collapse the net against yourself for tangle-free trip to the next fishy looking riffle.
Oh yeah - a tangle free walk along the shore to the next spot without having to reel-up and strip out. One more thing I found myself enjoying courtesy of the basket. Only thing missing was a beer-holder but, perhaps a chest-mount would be better for that.....

JayB

JayB,

Kind of an "everything old is new again" experience for you it seems. Stripping baskets were very popular for river steelheading before the advent of fly lines with floating and sinking sections. Managing an all sinking fly line when you're wading waist deep is troublesome at best. A stripping basket was the best place to store retrieved line for the next cast. Floating lines with sinking tips or shooting heads reduced, if not eliminated, that problem. Heck, I saw Bob Strobel using his old stripping basket along with a Spey rod for years although he really didn't need the basket.

Sg
Interesting. I was just looking over Doug Rose's book on fly-fishing the Oly Pen last night and in the section on Syd Glasso someone is quoted as saying that "he could cast over 100 feet without using a stripping basket," which jives with your observation that they used to be more common way back when. Nihil nove sub sole...

TD

Be aware that the dishpan style can give you a scare when you step in deeper than anticipated and the basket quickly catches in the current and starts to tug at your waist. Holes in the bottom help but it still creates a lot of drag.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
I can damn sure tell you there have been a number of times I wished I had one...especially when making long casts on fast moving water. And now that I see just how versatile they are... all I need is the right color so as not to clash with my new puffy jacket :D.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I like the combination stripping basket and wading belt. In addition to the obvious uses, it comes in handy when wading to another spot. Just leave the running line in the basket and collapse the net against yourself for tangle-free trip to the next fishy looking riffle.
I thought those things were made for packing beer,I thought you were suppose to fill them with beer and wade in upto your waist to keep the beer cold. I never thought about coiling your line in one!!

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I use & have used a collapsible basket on streams and along shorelines where utilizing a hard basket isn't very feasible. And while long casts aren't/weren't needed in most instances, it beat hob out of my fly line tailing downstream, snagging on rocks & debris, and me walking all over it.