NFR Stripping the soul from the Olympics

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ribka, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Obama!

Go Sox,
    cds

Jergens likes this.
  2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I knew it!

3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Olympic wrestling venues are consistently sold out, every games (so I am told). Wrestling is certainly flagging in popularity in the Western US, but in many parts of the world it is HUGE. Certainly more popular than the Pentathlon. Even with 25 core sports, in the US you'll get lousy coverage of maybe 10 or 12 sports.

Grrr...this sucks.

Thomas, tell you lady not to lose heart. There will be a stage to show shes the best in the world, one way or the other. SF is a great school, with one of the finest wrestling traditions in North America.

Old story: We ran into SF at tournaments in college, and was able to see their heavy (130Kg) Jeff Thue (silver medalist in the olympics). MONSTER wrestler. Never got to wrestle him though. I did get to wrestle Steve Mocco (and was completely schooled) the year before he went to the games.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Now they also want to stick GOLF in there also. What in the hell do pro golfers have to prove.

5. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I really have no interest whatsoever in wrestling, but I definitely agree with the sentiments posted here. I can't believe they'd pull the plug on it. I saw the headline and thought they must just be talking about it, and hadn't come to their sense. Then I read the article... definitely a nonsensical decision.

6. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

What's the fuss? They have ping pong. And synchronized swimming. And a bunch of other cutsie crap. Riding a horse, for God's sake! They'll probably pull the plug on gymnastics next; oh, wait, they make money off that one. A damn shame. Lawn darts, anyone?

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

If they have lawn darts they will probably ban it because of the sharp points on the darts.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  8. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I love wrestling and I'm sad to hear it may be gone from the Olympics, but the Olympics have been on the down hill ever since they let professionals compete. It's all about the $$ and who wins the most. The spirit of competition is no longer the goal for many, and it's sad.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  9. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I agree with Chris. I can still remember vividly just about every moment of the 1980 ice hockey games (Miracle on Ice). I was going absolutely crazy. I don't think I've ever been more proud of a group of kids. Our amateurs against the Russian pros--and the Red Army team was just that--professional. Once they let the pros in, the Olympics lost a lot of their meaning for me. Who wants to watch the Williams sisters beating up on some poor kids from a small country? Not me. Sad about wrestling, though.​