Strongest connection of fly line (without welded loop) to leader

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Brook hunter, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Brook hunter

Brook hunter Member

Working on connecting lines for my 10wt set up. If my fly line doesn't have a welded loop, what are some strong and reliable suggestions for connecting fly line to leader? Hoping I can do some kind of loop to loop.

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Braided mono or go to YouTube and search “welded loop fly line”.
    You’ll find lots of videos on how to do so.
    SF

Bagman, Brook hunter and mtskibum16 like this.
  3. napawino (Roger Craft)

napawino (Roger Craft) Kicked

Snohomish County, sometimes Missoula County
  4. theTastyPlecopteran

theTastyPlecopteran Active Member

The best way I have seen is to fold the tip over on itself forming a small loop and use 2 nail knots w/ 15lb leader material to bite the two legs of the loop together. trim tag ends close. Optional: cover with a flexible epoxy when finished. Youtube nail knot loop.

mtskibum16 likes this.
  5. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Take a piece of heavy mono tie a loop on one end. Connect the other end to the fly line with an albright knot. This would be a looped butt section

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    I like using a short length of 30 to 40 pound test monofilament, 12 to 18 inches long. I nail knot it directly to the tip of the fly line, using two nail knots spaced about one inch apart. (This will also work well for your backing-to-fly line knots.) Then I put a Perfection Loop knot in the tip of the mono. This setup is often referred to as a "standing loop." You can adjust the length as needed. This standing loop rig can be easily replaced or modified while fishing.

For saltwater fishing, and freshwater fishing, and for larger fish too, a factory braided loop tip is fine.

7. XP

XP Active Member

Albright with a little adhesive is probably stronger than a Rio factory loop.

Brook hunter likes this.
  8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

For your Guam trip offshore 10 or 12 weight fly fishing you will really need to reinforce your fly line loops. Use gel-spun backing 50lb for the loop reinforcing nail knots , then smoothen them over with UV Knot Sense. Large off shore fish will easily destroy weak knots, tippets, and fly line loops.

Brook hunter and mtskibum16 like this.
  9. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I like to add a braided loop or double over the fly line (forming a loop) and secure the loop with two nail knots. Or weld a loop - good videos on youtube.

Edit: The strongest would probably be to weld a loop then reinforce with two nail knots like @DimeBrite mentioned. Creating and securing the loop with just two nail knots would be the next strongest.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Brook hunter likes this.
  10. VIUcutthroat

VIUcutthroat Active Member

I used an Albright knot exclusively + smooth coating of flexible cement. Two or three thin coats better than one.

If you plan on using loops, make your own. Lots of instructions on the web; easy to do, strong and very smooth going through the guides. The one I recall off hand is on Dan Blanton’s web site. Don’t use loops designed for fresh water fish. They won’t hold up.

11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

So do you use that to attach a butt section of looped mono, then loop leaders on to that? I remember shops used to set me up like that (when I was younger and didn't know what I was doing) but I was never a big fan. While a 30lb chunk of mono is pretty tough, it always just seemed like an extra failure point. If you loop the fly line line you never need to worry about inspecting/replacing that butt section. IMO anyways.

12. Chucker

Chucker Active Member

It doesn't need to be the strongest, it just needs to be stronger than the weakest point in your leader. It is important that it goes through the guides easily though, a catch on a ring can pull your rod apart or break it.

So anything works, just don't skip the smoothing out bit. I use loops made out of 50lb braided mono and then have a big loop in the backing to make changing lines easy.

N.

13. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

But you can replace the mono loop pretty easily. Plus I think a good strong butt helps turn over the fly

14. BN2FSH

BN2FSH Active Member

15. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I agree with the braided mono loop, I do not use supper glue on my mono loop, as it is 1) not water proof, 2) it leaves a stiff spot which will get weak as the line on each side of the joint bends. Epoxy for the most part is also not water proof. I use Aqua seal, Simms supply's a small tube of Aqua seal when you buy a new pair of waders to seal up a rip or a hole, it is also used to repair wetsuits. Once you get the hang of making up a mono loop it's simple it is also something that you do not have to worry about as it is not going to be a weak link.