Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Summer Run Steelhead?

4K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  GEMalone 
#1 ·
Headed to the Cowlitz on June 27, pulling plugs from a sled. As a newby I thought I'd throw my fly rod (9ft 6#) in the boat...will that work? What else do I need? What flies should I take? Other advice?

#2 ·
Just a stupid comment first.... I don't think it's legal for you to pull plugs and have a fly rod for yourself. I'd double check the regs to make sure it's kosher.

Aside from that, if you plan on fishing from a boat, you should probably focus on some form of nymphing technique. Lots of folks do a stonefly/globug dropper and others use plastic beads and glue eggs. In addition general stones and other nymphs will probably work well too.

The only presentation thing you really need to make sure is one that focuses on a drag free drift... :)

Finally, you should probably take a look at Andy Simon's nymphing for steelhead article... Good place to start

-- Cheers
-- James

#5 ·
Yes I did...he says this about fly selection:

Fly selection for steelhead depends greatly on time of year and location. Since I am covering techniques mainly used on the Snake and middle Columbia river strain steelhead, my fly patterns are somewhat specialized.
Are these the flies I should try?

#6 ·
Yes I did...he says this about fly selection:

Are these the flies I should try?
You'll be fine with what's listed there. In general as long as you put something in front of a steelhead, they'll take it. Yarn eggs, copper johns, steelie stones, globugs, glue eggs, they all work. The hardest part is finding the fish and getting the fly there. If you're good with pulling plugs and identifying good steelhead holding water you should be fine. Once caveat though, you'll probably want to focus on the slower, shallower sides of the runs you fish with plugs. Otherwise, you won't be able to get the fly down for very long....

#9 ·
F*** THAT! If your already engaged in the most indecent hardware, only skill with the helmsman, knuklehead winch fest (I've done it many times to good effect!), try to redeem yourself as a long rodder and swing a Sky Sunset In some of the rifflle water above Blue Creek.

I may often take a skunking but it's a noble skunking!

#10 ·
Somehow it always boils down to this, doesn't it??? :rolleyes: I wouldn't categorize pulling plugs as a knuckle headed endeavor more than I would any other type of fishing for steelhead. It's not my cup of tea, but there is some *REAL SERIOUS SKILL* for the oarsmen to get you into fish.... :)

#13 ·
OK, a couple things, he never said he'd be using his fly rod for pulling plugs, he's using the rod as an extra when he is not pulling plugs. Second, why do people have to be such purists when it comes to fly fishing. Isn't the whole goal of fishing to have fun no matter what you use to catch fish, or not catch fish, I know I always have fun, fish or no fish, fly or gear. I guess I'm a "bi", I go both ways and both ways are fun. Everyone should try to learn a new method to catch fish.

#18 ·
I say use the 6 wt and have some fun. So what if it takes him a few extra minutes to land a fish? Most if not all of the summer runs on the Cowlitz are hatchery fish. Hell, he might even want to bonk one for dinner. The state plants them with the intent they'll be harvested. What a novel idea.
Go fish and have fun, whether you are tossing bugs or pulling plugs.
Brian

#19 ·
Quote: " you can use a six weight, it will take longer to get the fish, but it will be fun."
QUOTE]

I recomend that you use what ever rod you want. You can beat a fish in no time with your six so long as you fish the right tippet and pressure the fish.

Have fun I hear the Cow is fishing great, Try a champain glue egg or swing something big and flufffy
Mark

#21 ·
PH,

Personally I don't go below a 6 wt for summer steelhead, and the vast majority of the time a 7 wt. An expert doesn't even need a rod to responsibly play and land a steelhead without doing it harm. The rest of us would benefit by using gear reasonable sized for the quarry. Reasonable is relative and subject of endless debate.

As for gear on the Cowlitz, the angler will be happier running his plugs on rods suited to the purpose, and the 9' 6 wt. will do the job as described by James above. Plug rods and a light fly rod are an odd mix no matter how you cut it, however. The upside is that the Cowlitz has water suited to just about all gear types and fishing techniques.

Sg

#22 ·
So is everyone new a lurker? or are you privy to top secret info? Orignal thread starter (GEMalone) came across sincere and asking a good question.... and replied to Mello in a thankful way...right?

Many fish a 6W for SRSH

Many first post are far worse and obvious to conclude lurking

Plus he has a :cool: avator and the signature is :thumb: 'Attitude is Everything!'

Good Luck on the Cowlitz ..GEM-man! :)

#25 ·
RE: Fly rod plug pulling. While not the same thing I did once have my buddy connect my fly line to a downrigger while trolling for kings off of Princeton in Nor cal-It worked but boy was it ugly! (I had a monsterous Deciever like lure on the end of my line.)

Does hooking only Squaw fish while chaseing Bass make for a skunking?

#33 ·
Landed a few brats on a slow 5 wt which was more like a 4 wt using a trout setup 8 lb fluro tippett. Of course my palm was blistered and scraped up by a nick in my reel rim. A 7-8 wt would be prime for those fish. If you don't have one, and don't plan of fishing summer runs often, you can pick a berkley cw up for 25 bucks and it will work fine since you have a sled. Good luck man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.