Summer steelhead Rondi

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Panhandle, Apr 18, 2007.

1. TomB

TomB Active Member

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I'd be up for the Klick or other SW Washington water. I grew up in Portland, so I'd prefer new water. Suprisingly, I haven't fished a bunch of thise SW rivers. Junes a good time.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Panhandle,

June's probably a very poor time for the Klickitat; it'll be high and turbid with spring runoff. Late Sept. and Oct the glaciers begin to cool, and the Klick begins to clear, and the steelheading is prime. June is probably the best month on the EF Lewis, as it has no snow pack and becomes real low in July. July is the peak return summer run month for most SW WA rivers that have flow holding up throughout the summer. June is best only on those that practically dry up in July and August. The Kalama is good in July and August, as is the Cowlitz and NF Lewis (which doesn't seem to be much of a fly stream).

Strategically, you'd probably do best to pick your preferred time, and then hit a river that peaks at that time.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Thanks for the info. May and June have always been best months for Willamette skamanias.

5. Chris Allen

Chris Allen Member

You guys make me doubt fishing for steelies is such a good thing. If that spoils trout for me, then ignorance is bliss.

6. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Trout do not go anywhere, there is no debate of whether they are "in", or not, only the debate if you can catch them or not. Plus, steelhead and pretty much all anadromous fish have a hard enough life as it is, so i figure I wont bother them. But if I did, I surely would not ever grace their presence with an indicator... I would rather catch a 12" trout on a streamer or dry fly that catch a 40" steelhead indicator nymphing any day of the week. I respect the guys who fish dries, streamers, and wets for steelhead immensely, although I do not really share the motive to do that type of fishing right now... And i do bass fish as well.

7. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

That is because you are a steelhead bum, not a trout bum! I have tried all the steelheading, and it does not interest me like trout fishing does, bottom line.

8. tflatso

tflatso Guest

Fussy bunch! I like trout in the winter when the rivers are all blown out and don't mind catching the occassionaly 20+ incher. However, there is nothing like stealhead. I catch them all summer long in the area but I hate that half-hour drive to get there - it's sooo long:eek: I have fished a few of the SWerners and didn't get a tug or hook-up but there is some nice looking waters down there. The Cow seems to be overrun but apparently some folks like that. My two cents.

9. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Quote of the year. ARE YOU FUCKING NUTZ DUDE? Common...

10. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Let's not forget about the Sky opening week of summer and it's 3 salt hatchery brutes. I've caught em at 14, 15, 17, 17 pounds from June 2 to June 9th in different years. I caught one on my buddy Chris West's brand new spey rod showing him how to cast. That went over real well. It went over even better when I bonked that baby and carried it into the Avid Angler in a plastic bag and slapped it on the counter. I thought people were going to faint. Good times. They are chrome, hot, aggressive and big. I've been told that only a couple hundred of them come back and some years you can't get at them, (especially when you live in Hawaii bawling: ) but that is an option.

11. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

Amen brother! I've caught steelies, and I still prefer to chase the trout. 14' spey rod!? why not use a telephone pole. I'll take a 24" trout on a 5wt. thank you very much.

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Dan, those statements make me believe you have never steehead fished, or at least caught one on the swing. Saying that you would rather fish for trout than steelhead is like saying, "I just want to snuggle, is that alright?"

13. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    "You know how i know you're ...?" - 40 year old virgin

Have ya ever caught one? and i dont mean a hatchery rasied pond monkey on the snoqualmie but one with a legit adipose fin and maybe some sea lice?

14. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Oh man! This is a slippery slope.....I am going to duck and cover......:hmmm:

15. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Ya Jergens, that was inappropriate. I'm sure there are individuals that have different sexual preferences on this baord. An apology, or deletion would be prudent.