Summer Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by greaseliner, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

You're ideas aren't necessarily bad, but it's your approach I have a problem with. Instead of coming out of the gates with one of your first post on this forum accusing people you don't know of being unethical assholes, why not bring it up as a topic for discussion? It was obvious you were trying to step on toes, so why go through the trouble of saying you're not?

What I mean by digging yourself a hole is you've just accused several active people in fisheries conversation of being inconsiderate slobs. That's not exactly the best way to make a first impression. I will give you some credit for leaving names out of it, but greaseliner's comment was 100% classless and uninformed.

P.S. - ChrisC, the whitefish loophole didn't apply on the Methow last year. The general steelhead season was open through March 31st.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

I would like to know what got your panties in a bunch, but I don't think coming on here and jumping down everyones throat about fishing over spawing steelhead is the way to get your point across. I have found that most of the people on this site are people that have common sense and don't fish the way you have mentioned. I know I for one don't do it and if I found fish spawning I would move on or quit for the day. There's more places to fish besides rivers in the winter.

Jim

3. greyghost

greyghost Member

Well actually, DUH, a lot of people do fish the Skagit during the March-April 30 catch and release season and I would hardly call many of them unsportsmanlike, they consist of many people that contribute a lot on this site and also towards wild steelhead conservation, including the mandatory wild steelhead release moratoruium recently passed. I understand what your point is on upriver fish, but I would hardly be so bold as to call any one who fishes for steelhead on a river, say the Clearwater in Idaho (or any columbia system trib), as an unethical, unsportsmanlike angler. You'd be "stepping on the toes" of many responsible, ethical, steelhead pioneers in the process. You fish where you feel comfortable, and let everyone else fish where legal and they feel comfortable doing so..........

Pete

4. keepemwild

keepemwild Guest

Excellent point. "Whitefish" season is absolute nonesense.

5. keepemwild

keepemwild Guest

"I would like to know what got your panties in a bunch,..."

Well, I guess its because I'm tired of seeing folks harassing spawning fish. I don't like hearing about people going over and fishing the Ronde or Clearwater during this time of year because we all know darn well what the fish are doing right now. By no means am I suggesting we not fish these rivers at all I might add. I've spent countless fall days on these rivers. My experiences on these rivers are why I've chosen to get involved with conservation efforts in Columbia/Snake River system. I hope others will do the same.

You're absolutely right. The vast majority of folks on this site are ethical, conservation-minded people. But if I hear anybody, even one person, talking about knocking half-dead, summer steelhead over the head with weighted egg patterns this spring you're gonna hear my opinion about it.

And you know what, people who fish over redds aren't the conservation minded saints some make them out to be on this board. If they cared more about the fish than getting a tight line they would leave them alone. If they're involved with conservation efforts that's absolutely great but that's no excuse for fishing over redds. And if I stepped on your toes...good, cause I got you thinking.

6. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Home Page:
  7. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

If the season is open, keepemwild, you need to take it up with the WDFW. Your concern for fishing over redds is valid, but beat like a long dead horse on this forum. And the Methow is closed this season if I'm not mistaken. Most all steelhead spawning creeks are closed after Oct 31, Jan 31 at the lastest, on the westside. If youre so fired up, maybe you could get the same done for your local rivers. Statewide wild steelhead release is a done deal, as well as reg making it illegal to lift out of season fish out of the water. Seems like your problems right now are with POACHERS (locals?). Next time do some homework before gettin all bunged up.

8. greyghost

greyghost Member

Keepemwild,
    We probably see eye to eye on most issues involving fish conservation/ethics. Fishing over redds is obviously a no-no to hopefully everyone reading this board. However, I still am having trouble seeing what you consider the difference of fishing for steelhead in the Fall on the Clearwater, and fishing for them later in the season. I am talking about fishing for prespawn fish in deep runs, not spawning fish on tailouts. (You basically say it's okay to bother these fish in Ocober, but horribly wrong after that) If you cite migratory hardships and energy depletion, I am confused. A fish that makes it to the Clearwater in October and is caught in October, is probably at the point of exhaustion. Perhaps, he takes a fly hoping for some protein to help survive the upcoming winter. The extra struggle with your rod in warm water is enough of a lactic acid overload to the fish to induce mortality.

I caught many summer run fish in Coastal Oregon this fall. I decided to keep one hatchery fish and noticed it's stomach had significant amounts of chinook eggs, and stonefly nymphs. Several other fish were witnessed feeding on october caddis hatches. These fish had been pooled up for several months after a short migration on warm water temps, and on high, cooler water had pushed closer to spawning grounds and had been feeding aggressively. So, a fall fish that has just completed its long, warm migration, is probably closer to being "half dead" than a fish that has been resting and feeding near it's final spawning grounds for several months. Once fish commence the act of spawning, they should never be harrassed, and should be allowed to propagate, but if you think fishing for steelhead is any more ethical in October than February on the Clearwater, I would disagree. Now, when you speak of tactics, that is where things change. In the warmer temps of October, it is feasible to get fish to chase dry line wets and skated dries, which is way more appealing to most people than slow nymphing in cold temps. I would agree with this, but I think the way you classify people who choose to use other methods than yourself as unethical and unsportsmanlike, is just plain irresponsible. That is simple elitism. For you to say that catching a large steelhead in the Spring would be half dead, would be refuted by most that have done it. Maybe post spawn fish, but we are talking about prespawn. I understand you, and you have some valid points, but you haven't done your homework, and you have made blanket statements about a lot of people without knowing better in advance.
    I normally stay away from these sorts of posts, but when a personal friend of mine (who releases all fish and doesn't fish over redds) was dragged in and bashed without a chance to respond, I couldn't resist.

9. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Deleted message

No message

10. keepemwild

keepemwild Guest

Hey everyone,

I'm new to posting on this site and don't really want to step on anybody's toes here. However, I'd like to express my distaste for some of those folks who insist on extending the summer steelhead season on into the spring. I won't name names, but it seems like a few folks around here get a kick from ripping spawning steelhead off their redds this time of year. Steelheading is great fun, I live for it - but lets do it right with respect for our fish. Places like the Grande Ronde, Clearwater and Salmon rivers are my home waters and I, like many of you, want this fishery to last beyond our own lifetimes. For the most part, folks on this board seem to genuinely care about our fish. I love seeing you all out there in the fall, but please, let's leave these fish alone to spawn. It simply is the right thing to do.

11. need2fish

need2fish New Member

In response to the comments about the fish being tired after they have made it to the Methow, are there not some genetic differences in these fish? I am not suggesting we fish for spawners, however the Methow fish are genetically designed to swim along way. I would think they could handle some C&R action as well as a coastal fish that has to swim 5 miles to its spawning waters.

Heck, half the Chumdoggies you catch in the estuaries are spent. They can't wait to swim 100 yards up the culvert and do the deed! (Chico Creek) But in other rivers they swim 20-30 miles before the hit their love nests! (Nooksack, Skagit, etc.)

I would think the anadromas (sp) fish in 509 country would work the same way.

Just my thoughts!

Andrew

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

You didn't step on my toes I just want to state that of all the people in this state the gear fish,bait,and fly fish. How many of them are on this site. Just a drop in the bucket. If you want to hit them all,put an add in the paper and that way you will hit them all. But jumping in when you didn't know where you were going,I think you own an apology to the guy on this site that you were ragging on.

Being new to this site I would think that if you felt the water instead of jumping straight in you would probably see what type of people are on here.

Besides I don't think that I have enough time left to go over there and fish that river with all of the other barren rivers that I can fish in.

Just my opinion.

Jim

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Keepemwild,

In the past few years in April, on the Salmon River up near Stanley, Idaho, there is a very large kill fishery for hatchery and wild steelhead. Many of these could be the steelhead some of us released the previous October and November in the Clearwater and Snake rivers. This fishery is promoted heavily by the flyshops in Ketchum/Sun Valley. I'd say that if you want to vent your ire on some redd-fishers, you should get onto the Idaho based bulletin boards and flyshop websites where your shotgun postings have a far better chance of hitting some real marks.

Leland

14. WT

WT Active Member

This is good stuff. The beauty of a forum like this is that people get to post what is on their minds even if it goes against the grain. Good on you keepemwild.
    WT

15. flasher

flasher New Member

Hell I could fish over the redds with a drift net and still not catch anything:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.