Summer weight rod advice.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sloan Craven, Mar 12, 2006.

1. FLGator

FLGator Member

I like the TFO 12' 6" 6/7. Excellent performance and a great value.

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Couldn't agree more. To over simplify, the longer the rod, the longer the 'head' you can work. Shorter the rod .. then you are more limited as to head length on the line.
    Fred

3. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

I am an avid spey caster, but ......

I used to own the 6126 and I sold it - Here's why.

I use an 8 wt spey rod for winter steelhead and I used to use the 6126 in the summer. After a while I found that I didn't need big distance in the summer and I could get a better dry fly cast/presentation with a single hander. The 6126 does just fine with a floating line but I prefer the stiffer backbone of my 8 weight for pulling sink tips out.

So in the end I came to this conclusion: I prefer a single hander for dry line casting because I have more precise control of fly placement. For sinking tip fishing I love my 8 weight spey set-up. So I have gotten off the winter vs. summer split. I think of it as a dry line vs. sink tip thing. If I am going to use a sink tip (winter or summer) I use the 8 weight spey. If I am going to use a dry line I use a single hander.

This may be heresy to some spey aficionados, but it suits me. Thus I sold the 6126 'cause I never used it.

4. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

I just used my 6126 for the first time in BC and it is a sweet stick. It is heavy 6 weight. I had a skagit 450 and a 8 foot T8 tip. It casted with ease. Almost casts it self.
    I would try and cast as many of these lighter two handed rods and decide for yourself.
    Chris

5. Rookiespey

Rookiespey Member

The Sage 6126-3 is a great rod. I fished it with a Wincutter 7/8/9 & tips for Steelhead in the Vedder. You are right about it being more of a 7 wt.
    Mine is for sale & will be going into the classifieds soon. I just picked up a Meiser so the rod is redundant otherwise it would be my go to rod on small to medium rivers.

6. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

This how I see it also single hander for dry fly work and spey rod for wet fly work with floating line and sinktips. Much more precision casting ability with the single hander for me, but I guess thats what 41 years of single casting and 5 years of spey casting will realize for one.

You might want to look at the Snowbee - Torridge also 12 foot 6/7 wgt fast action spey rod, $ 375, at Red Shed.

:thumb:

BG