Sunrise vs sunset - low tide vs high tide

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ricklea1953, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Hooker,
    I had to make one more comment. Take it anyway you want and then let the fine people on this website make their helpful comments.

I was probably fishing the wishkah and hoquiam rivers for blueback before you were even born. Do you happen to know what a blueback is? I fished westport during it's hayday when two 40 pound salmon were caught within the first or three hours of fishing.

I am new to fly fishing and take advantage of all the reading/classes/guided trips I can find.
    I also frequent and buy from local fly shops.

Please don't insult the people who are trying to break into fly fishing at any age. It is a learning process for anyone, no matter what their fishing background. It is a different terminology which us "traditional fishermen" are trying to learn.

Now, please let the questions and discussion continue. If you have a personal beef with me or something I have said, please send me a personal e-mail.

For now, I would like to hear what these fine folks on the website have to say.

Rick

2. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Home Page:
    A morning outgoing has always been good for me.

Clint

3. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Active Member

Early AM outgoing is money on at least a couple of beaches I like, with the added bonus that the outgoing current flushes out the salad, which can make fishing almost impossible in the summer on an incoming.

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

for coho I'll take an AM outgoing with slack at about 9am, and some nice cloud cover.:thumb:

5. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Home Page:
    I must second D3 on the cloud cover. :beer1:

Clint

6. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

rick- congrats on being old. If you dont like the advice, dont read it. Its an observation, read it as such. I still think that if you keep a more open mind and try to learn it for yourself, you will be much more successful. you can only learn so much from talkin and reading... actually being out, one time so far, will teach you more.
    I read your post saying... i know the fish like/dislike this, so therefore, I will do this...
    You are brand new to it. You dont know. Hell everyone that has been at it for a long time doesnt know. there are trends and patterns that everyone will test to the point they think they have found the answer and just then, the fish will completely blow it out of the water.

7. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Speaking of AM outgoing tides, cloud cover, and moving water: Tommorrow morning should be a good time for everyone to fish the beach. Hopefully the clouds linger the entire morning. Plus we have a new moon today so the salmon will be hungry.

Happy Fishing

8. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

It seems that everyone concurs with Rick that
    cloud cover or low light conditions help......
    Each location produces better at different times
    and tides.... See Rick, you do know something.

9. Jake L

Jake L New Member

Ya I thought this morning would be good. The rain quit = Good. I got there at the perfect time (stumbling through dark to get there) = Good. Outgoing tide like everyone likes = Good. But the wind, chop, and no signs of fish life anywhere had me home early. Tomorrow....

10. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

jrlyman, today was a good day. Good out going tide, Rain and wind. The ones that were persistent took home kings and coho. The ones that were discouraged went home with nada. Out of 7 guys including myself we filled our tags.

You never know unless you put in the time. Some times the worst weather is the most productive time.;)

11. Jake L

Jake L New Member

The weather didn't send me home, it was the complete absence of fish activity mixed with the fact that it was the third morning in a row I'd been up at three forty-five to fish. I'll be out again tomorrow. I figure there'll be lots of folks out, and it'll be good for me to be able to watch and interact with guys out on the beach. Learn a thing or two.

12. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Fish when you can fish and as often as possible, I work weird hours and so right now I'm not able to fish the mornings much nor have I been able to get in on the good tides lately, I fish when I can and haven't had any problems getting into fish, some places will be better depending on the tides these are things to be learned but I've found silvers will feed on and off all day no matter what the tide or weather conditions are and my best fish caught last year was a large king caught on a bright sunny day in the middle of the afternoon I ended up losing it but still the fact remains you can get into fish if you are just willing to get out there and fish, persistance is the key, sure I prefer to fish early but I'm not convinced its really all that neccesary.
    tony

13. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Thanks Tony,
    I too have to get on the water when I can. That's why I ask so many questions. I am a beginner to fly fishing and I have limited time to devote. I will retire (for the second time) in 7 years and maybe I will have more time on my hands then.

Thanks for you input,
    Rick

14. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

ricklea1953- I would put money down that you and mumbles would have a heck of a day fishing together. You both seem to want the same thing? I would be happy to hear both of your reports.

Good luck.

15. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

I would love to fish with mumbles except he lives in some exotic place that doesn't show on the map book.

Rick