Surprising Poacher report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tony, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Hi all. Long time lurker here, who just signed up to say: right on, Tony! Justice done! I'm a stickler for the rules because I've seen what can happen when enforcement is lax. Long story, but let's just say that some third-world countries have Jungles, but NO animals.

The WDFW incident report hotline is : (800) 477-6224. So you don't have to call 911. I actually keep the number in my phone. For reporting of incidents that are not time-sensitive, like derelict poacher nets, etc., you can fill out the online form, at http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/report_violation/index.php

Thanks for all the fishing wisdom and keep protecting our resources!

2. bigman

bigman New Member

It is actually better to call 911 because the WDFW incident number is only manned Mon-Fri 8-5 and excluding holidays. When you call 911 just state exactly what he said, "non-emergency fish/wildlife poaching" the 911 operator will transfer you to the Washington State Patrol dispatch for the area. You then talk to the State Patrol dispatchers and give them all the info, WDFW Officers are dispatched by the state patrol so that is why you call them. I have had many WDFW Officers tell me that they'd rather have people call 911 or State Patrol then the WDFW number because 911/State Patrol is 24/7 365 days a year and WDFW is only during normal business hours.

3. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

+1 on bigman's assertion.

in addition, if you have direct cell numbers, they'd prefer that over 911. if not that, then of course, NE-911.

4. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

I bow to the bigman wisdom. From the WDFW website:

"Weekends, holidays, and after hours
    To report in-process violations on weekends, holidays, and after hours, call your local State Patrol office. Reports are confidential and are forwarded to a Fish and Wildlife Officer for investigation."

5. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Great job Tony! You and your white haired buddy made a lot of us happy. And I hope the word gets around to the other poachers that if they continue...they're next!! :mad:

6. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

What a cool way to fill the state's coffers! Keep it up guys! I'm seriously stoked at the participation everyone is contributing. Boots on the ground, people!

Ciao from Sri Lanka!
    --Dave E.

7. ribka

ribka Active Member

Good for you Tony!
    Good job! On the e side of WA if you call in a suspected poaching incident, they will in most instances respond.

8. drandall

drandall New Member

Just FYI, I also turned in a couple on Cold Water Lake using Bait. I talked with the couple first and explained the rules but they kept fishing...I called enforement after about 45 minutes but by the time they arrived the couple had left! I even have pictures of them fishing that I sent to enforcement at their request...

9. Joseph Freeman

Joseph Freeman dUMB aRKiE

"I also agree that fines need to be way heavier, for poaching. It won't stop if all poachers get is a slap on the wrist."

I believe that all caught poaching should forfeit the right to a fishing liscence, a drivers liscense, all their equipment, their vehicle that brought them to the place thy were caught poaching, and a mandatory period of incarcaration, on their first offense. You don't wanna know what I would like to have happen to them if they are caught again.:eek: Joseph