Sweet dreams are made of this *dry fly eat*

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Awesome shot of a dry fly eater. I have 1.5 months of salmon fishing in the islands until steelhead time. This just get's me pumped for September and the road trips of fall.

Go Sox,
cds

RogueBum

Spey casting for Steelies year round
NU water clarity is awesome! Beautiful fish... nice fight... great release. Surprised the steelie didn't run down river and make it a much tougher fight!

bconrad

Awesome, cool to see that caught on tape.

For those of you that would like to try it, Tony can put you into a skater fish, even if you can't roll cast the 10' 7 like he can. Go down to the Ump, you'll never forget it!

Luke77

I hope she likes whitefish
So, let's talk about the sore head steel right in front of him. From what I can tell (or can't tell), it's not moldy all over, so I doubt it's knocking on death's door....so why else would it be so chill with all that activity mere feet from the angler?

whoa, too cool.

in addition to the obvious steelhead slashing at a waker, that release epitomized how it should be done. play 'em fast and hard, pop the fly out and away they go...

Lex

So, let's talk about the sore head steel right in front of him. From what I can tell (or can't tell), it's not moldy all over, so I doubt it's knocking on death's door....so why else would it be so chill with all that activity mere feet from the angler?

Funny you should ask. I was trout fishing the Methow last week and a spawned out moldy steelhead just ambles along 3 feet in front of me. First off, I was really surprised that it was still alive (like a zombie is alive) because I thought they all die that far up in the system after spawning. Second, it was not at all spooked by my presence and was exhibiting odd behavior. It was only moldy on it's head, much like the one in this video, which to me says yes, it's knocking on death's door..

Luke77

I hope she likes whitefish
Very interesting Lex. Are you sure it wasn't a chinook? Reason I ask is, steelhead are capable of spawning more than once, so this statement, "...I thought they all die that far up in the system after spawning." isn't entirely accurate.

Either way, that definitely is a cool experience. They sure are put through the ringer before dying...