swinging flies== flossing fish??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Oct 23, 2011.

?

How many fish are flossed on the swing

Poll closed Nov 6, 2011.
  1. 25%

57.1%
  2. 50%

23.8%
  3. 75%

19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

well I was just wondering is all because side drifting ( bait is all the rage these days) long leader using a boat to pull you down river most of the fish are flossed it is simple.. fish are swiming up river and leader hook is "swinging" down river the chances are very good for flossing fish. Not that they are planned to do so it just the way it is. I've caught 2 on the swing one was in the roof of mouth and the other was in the corner of the mouth but outside in. 50%... With sink tips seams like the same scenario as side drifting. I was just wondering what others thought. TallFlyGuy sorry one topic has lost all of my respect for me. Why is everyone so touchy?? Did I say that swinging was flossing?? NO jsut wondered if you as me hav thought the % was up there for flossing fish.

2. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

Hell defensive I fish bait,spinners,plugs,flies,beads,etc.... Not defensive. I just think its funny how No group of people fly people,gear people cant just say good job on catching that fish. Everyone has to say something like you flossed,snagged etc... hell anyone can catch them if you use bait. Just take what ever means anyone chooses to use and CHILL. I dont even eat much fish. so I don't keep but 1% of them. I love any and all ways to catch these awesome fish. Cant wait to share it with my kids.too

3. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

25 second of my life is now gone...shit

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Unfortunately it's a term that was used YEARS ago for gear guys who used super long leaders (8-11') fishing for steelhead in steelhead green conditions (3' leader max was all you needed, especially with roe). These guys used these long leaders, a small corky, and a heavy weight to get it down fast, but line through as many fish as they could. Yes, most were hooked in the mouth, very few were hooked outside of the mouth. I think first time I heard it was back in the mid 70's talking about the drift fisherman at the HiHo hole on the Puyallup. You'd actually be the first flyfisherman I've heard called it. Probably the guys calling you that are the same ones doing it on the Cowlitz at Blue Creek. LOL

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Actually, I'd say it's not quite the same. You can get that line down fast and cover more area with a gear rod. Even the heaviest sinktip can't get down as deep or as fast as a light line and heavier weight a sidedrifting setup on the Cow uses (and no, not all sidedrifters use a long leader).

6. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

true but most do use 5ft+ Some giudes on the Lewis use 7+..

7. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

This is why I was wondering what everone else was thinking with the swinging,flossing thing. nothing more nothing less.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    If you want to talk coverage with a flyline. You'd exponentially have to use ALOT more leader/tippet to floss. I'd almost guestimate with sinkrate, bow in line (even with mending), and fly, you'd have to run about 15-20' of leader/tippet off end of your sinktip to properly floss. That would give that fly (which would have to literally almost be a floating fly slowly being dragged down) a chance to work down slowly giving flyline a chance to cover more water (which still wouldn't work I'd imagine). I know I had a few guys out salmon fishing this past week. We were running about 5' of tippet/leader combos (some down to about 3') and had a hard time getting the lines down at certain water levels. Let alone trying to floss fish who were at a depth where our flies were just above them. Thankfully, we could watch the flash of the fish come up after the flies. So we knew we weren't flossing (plus, when some were almost hitting our flies at the surface, knew we were good to go).

9. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

could be true or sounds true.. but it could be a possibilty of happening. even a broken watch is right 2 times a day. LOL Don't most people think Jim Teeny is a flosser?? just saying

10. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

I never said that fish are flossed while nympthing... I feel that most dead drifted ways of fishing are deadly.. ( nympths,bobber and jig, bobber and eggs) its always a natural look for the fish. Flossing is what it is. there will always be flossers. Go up the NF lewis and you will see a ton of them. its the guys that reel in and jerk every 4 cranks is what pisses me off.

11. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

well...well....well.... You know i never ever thought of this, Wow...Great topic, to consider for discussion, but the fact is that gear guys with 9 ft and greater leaders are of course flossing, that may not be their intent, but it does happen and often. the majority of people out there would agree i bet, but what about 9....10 or 15 feet of leader sweeping thru a run, cast... step... cast.... step. stands to reason, that yes flossing a fish on the swing is just as likely as the gear guys swinging their 9 ft leaders. i'm holding my head up a little higher all of a sudden, knowing that probably 100 percent of the couple fish i get under a boober every year actually eat it, lol.

12. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Sandspanker, Every post you've made in this thread seems pretty defensive. Same for the thread about the Speydicator you started on Spey Pages. I've never seen anyone call you a flosser any place I frequent and I certainly haven't called you that so where are all these people that call you a flosser?

Is the above quote the method you think people use to swing flies? If you think swinging a fly in an open river for steelhead is in any way shape or form flossing then I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Poppy he's talking about the gear guys. Especially on the NF Lewis. I call it "straffing" the slot. But you are almost snagging over flossing with that method. The 4 reel/yank. Saw that a lot last week.

14. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I'm well aware of what he's talking about so I'm wondering why the Hell he equates that to swinging flies for steelhead. This ain't a gear forum the last time I looked.

15. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:
    Yup couldn't agree more... as a matter of fact I have yet to floss a fish on the swing. So I vote 0%