Swinging for Springers

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Rod Wittner, May 3, 2014.

1. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

With Spring Chinook season getting underway and the fish managers predicting a strong run, I am wondering if any of you have much experience and/or success at swinging flies for the all around favorite salmon for table fare. Do you use pretty much the same tactics as for steelhead? What types of flies would be appropriate? I live in the Tri-cities and the Yakima opened this morning for a 6 week run. I think it would be a blast to hunt springers with the spey rod. Thanks for your input. And if there are any local guys who want to hook up to give it a try, I'm game. Send a pm.

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Be prepared to cast A LOT, Rod. I hooked & LDR's ONE over the course of many outings over several years. I used short leaders, a quick-sinking line, & swung unweighted herring patterns. I'd tag along, but carp give me all the action I can manage this time of year. Good luck!

3. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Rod, I also live in West Richland and have had no Chinook to hand fishing the Yakima for the past couple of years trying to stick a Chinook. I've fished both spring and fall below twin bridges and above the Snively launch on both sides of the river. I did land a Coho a couple of years back in the fall on a purple bunny leach with a chartreuse bead on the head. At least one can usually find a bass to take the offering. You might try the corner hole below the 240 bridge. The slow moving water at the corner down stream from the launch/take out held fish last fall, but I did not pick up anything before I started chasing them on the Columbia.

Rod Wittner likes this.
  4. i think this qualifies under using flies but not fly fishing.

5. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

i think trying some sort of strip retrieve may be more successful from everything ive heard/read. i live under 10 mins from the roza dam and have been after one in this section goin on 4 years now. good luck!

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Instead of fishing locally for chinook, for the years it might take to catch one, work more. Work overtime. Save your money until you can afford a guided trip to B.C.'s Dean River, or perhaps a few other choice destinations.:cool:

7. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Where's the fun in that?

:D

Rod Wittner likes this.
  8. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Spring Chinook can be aggressive but it's definitely not "automatic" like steelhead (assuming steelhead are automatic).

Here's a postulation, spring chinook are more aggressive the closer they are to the salt, but they can also be aggressive when they're stacked up in salmon pools in freshwater (also aggressive when spawning but none of us would consider casting to them on redds, it ain't nice to do that and it ain't flyfishing, it's baiting!).

I've been lucky enough to stumble into a few while steelheading but have never targeted them...this year might (will) be different. Here's my strategy. When they're present in numbers it's usually obvious and the more fish there are in a pool the more aggressive they will be.

This is skagit casting and skagit heads and all the stuff I hate about it... Heavy and long T-material for tips, get it a few feet from the bottom and use short stripping motions (as mentioned above by McNasty) with blue and white flies w/plenty of mylar, flashy and bright flies. They aren't here to feed but they still have instincts. My $.02 cents...

9. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Rolf- We got into some Fall Chinook out your way last year. Small flies were the ticket. Springers sound like too much work though.
    This time around I'm going to use one of those Airflo Skagit intermediates to help with the depth issue and to not have to work as hard...

10. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Fall chinook and springers are completely different monsters. I swung for them for several years and finally gave it up. I tip my hat to anybody who's been successful as they definitely put in their time. They are the fish of 5000 casts.

fredaevans and Jim Ficklin like this.
  11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Only 5,000, Luke? I may have overdone it, lol . . .

Luke77 likes this.
  12. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

I've caught a couple of fall kings on the spey while fishing for steelies.

Both hookups were at the hang-down, after the first strip. Not sure if Springers will be the same. I live in Naches, and also plan to hit the Yak for some kings, I'll shoot you a pm.

Cheers,

Jason

david95670 likes this.
  13. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Use the heaviest fly you have. The ticket is to YANNNK the fly across the water as it swings in a sideways motion. Spring chinook have to yawn at some point.

14. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

There's another word for that but I can't think of it at the moment, springers do yawn when they're tired, as we all do.

15. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

welp, with this upcoming weather it'll be time to bust out the 30' of t-18 and spin-n-glo setup, hell, bait and shrimp oil too