Swinging for upriver 'ho's...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jason Chadick, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I've caught quite a few swinging over the years on one particular Chehalis river trib. Conditions were always the same, fishing a day or two after a high water event. Dropping water with the fish traveling and fishing the softer inside seams of choppy, riffly water. The main river would be chocolate colored at times, but the softer inside water offered much better clarity. Long casts weren't necessary, just enough to get the head out in the current past the seam.
    Sometimes the fish are incredibly close to shore. At times so close you really can't swing for them. We showed up one day and a couple of guys fishing gear were blasting out to the middle of the river. My buddy did a roll cast to get the head out for his first cast of the day and a silver grabbed his fly 5' off shore. That turned out to be just an incredible day of fishing.
    We fished Teeny 200's cut back to 18'. Both weighted and unweighted black, cerise and purple bunny leeches with chartreuse heads did most of the damage. Something about a chartreuse head really turns the fish on, especially in colored water.
    As Flyborg said, it is very very difficult to get them on the swing when they are stacked up in the deeper holes.

2. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I'm really getting frustrated with the lack of precip. Have had a trip planned for months for October Ho's, but am rethinking this trip because of all the warm, low water and no rain in sight...

This is a great thread, and hope to use this information on some river coho. If not this year, then next.

3. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

I hear you brother...this sunshine is breaking my heart. Until it comes I'll just tie more weighted chartreuse marabou stuff...

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

fish dirty,swing a small dick nite with a speyrod for skagit silvers

stilly stalker likes this.
  5. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Fixed it...:D

6. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

small dick nite huh....I've heard of people doing this as well. I've never tried it...seems like it wouldn't be that hard, I'm willing to bet that many of the flies that I throw with my spey rod are heavier and bulkier than one of those wee peni...I mean dick nites.

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    If it's on a fly rod, it's called a "penis evening."

It's just less vulgar that way.

The Duke likes this.
  8. Jon V

Jon V New Member

Evan, that was fantastic!

9. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Or fish something like a prom dress in copper with the swing/strip/jerk retrieve, OR the straight across and two hand strip speed retrieve.
    Get em in the right mood and they will race across a pool to grab a copper prom dress

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Fish it just like you would a fly, use the one inch size. I can't say any more about the technique with out feeling guilty of corrupting some flyfishers and sending them over to the dark side!!!!

11. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

best way to fish Dick Nites is with a intermediate clear tip

12. ten80

ten80 Active Member

50/50 wee tallywhacker twilight on a type 3 tip works great on spey rods. No need to twitch, just swing it smoothly for a good flutter.

13. Matthew Joyce

Matthew Joyce Member

Already said, it but its worth repeating. Coho tend to stack in slack water. You need current to swing.

14. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I disagree, I've caught a fair share of coho by swinging flies or spinners through current seams and riffles or deep holes near rocks. They do like slack water under the right circumstances, but I caught some on the Sol Duc and Kalama last fall swinging sparse flies on with a spey rod with skagit line and 10' of T13; there's no doubt I was swinging but I did add a twitch as the fly passed downstream of where I was standing.

Also, I've found that coho in slack water are generally not "players" and those in travelling lanes or deep holes with current are better biters. There's a reason why gear guys pull plugs through deep slots with current and drift eggs and jigs through seams.

Flyborg likes this.
  15. Josh P

Josh P Active Member

Anyone ever fished a Dick Nite behind a tube fly? Does that make it less dirty, or twice as dirty?