Switch Rod on the beach.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Adrian, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I''ll chime in here since I enjoy using a switch on the beach. Some of the benefits I like are:
    • Versatility of overhead or spey casts. Most days I use overhead, but when the wind picks up and is running over you casting shoulder, it's super nice to dump some line in front of you and keep launching line. Whereas if I were using a singlehand I might call it a day. Also, when the tide is high and your fishing close to the trees, it really helps.
    • Ability to change sink rates on tips. Most of the time a floater or slow intermediate covers it. But every now and then, a heavier sink tip does the trick. With or without heavily weighted flies.
    • Can cast all day. Not having as many false casts means I can fish a lot longer than I normally would be able to. It's also fun to switch up casting styles just for shits and giggles too.
    Some things I don't like are:
    • The clunkiness of a skagit head. I use a skagit short with a 14' poly leader for most of my situations. But stripping the head into the guides is less than desirable. I do see that RIO just came out with an integrated skagit short head, which I might just have to pony up to. I've just gotten used to this over the years, but it would be nice to not have it there on every cast. Stripping into your leader is a must for coho or SRC. I've tried the longer heads, but for me the short head with the longer tapered leader works. I'm hoping this integrated line solves my only negative about using switches from the beach.
    I would agree with those that have said you don't want overkill. It's easy to outgun your targeted fish. I think having a sensitive rod helps too.
    In any case, enjoy the journey. It's what makes this whole thing fun.

2. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

Would a 4wt be complete and total overkill for SRC?

3. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Absolutely not.

4. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Take two.

5. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Correct

6. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

I have a salty 6 single hander that I thought would be my beach rod for evermore. Bought a 4WT switch after using my buddy's on some dirty worthless PS river with no fish. Lined it up with a 350GR Ambush and 10FT int poly. After a couple of sessions with it on the beach...I found that the perry poke is an amazing cast for the beach. Strip in to the poly...sweep across the body, roll out the head, dump...and launch effortless 100FT casts all day.

Only twice in 3 months of near everyday beach fishing did I ever feel that, during extremely vegetative circumstances, MAYBE the single hander would have been nice. Then again, there was really too much salad for a single hander as well. Under this circumstance, I could still overhead cast...the 350GR line was overkill, but still manageable. I started realizing that the flies I had tied were starting to stockpile. I started realizing that at the end of a day of beach casting, that my flies still looked brand new. I started to realize that, for me, this was a MUCH more efficient way to fish the beach.

I brought my single hander out once for shits and giggles, and felt severely handicapped. Not only was I working way harder, but my casts averaged a good 30FT less. Still good range, and still fishy, but I felt lost without my switch rod.

So...to your original question, Adrian, the Sage One 4116 is my go-to beach set up for salmon. The Wulff Ambush 350GR is the only line I would use in the salt (for spey casting). It casts just like a Skagit (20FT head), but with integrated running line...so you avoid those connections picking up salad or sticking in your guides. I tried 5, 10 and 14FT poly leaders, and settled on the 10FT. If you're sustained anchor casting, and it sounds like you are, this is the route I would go. It allows you to strip all the way in to the leader.

For overhead, a 7WT Rio Outbound works well, but I find sustained anchor casting to be much more enjoyable.

I do, however, much prefer beach casting to SRC with a single hander, as I find myself casting to specific targets more often than blind casting. For this, nothing beats a single hander.

7. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

A 4wt would handle the occasional 10 - 12 lbs silver?

8. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

A Sage One 4116 will handle 10-12LB silvers, and 15 LB. Steelhead with backbone to spare. IMGP0114.JPG