T-6 months away: Just getting giddy with anticipation!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

An 8 wt. is the ticket whether you bonk them or put them back. Too much lactic acid if you fish with much lighter of a rod and their mouths are really soft. They tear out easily. Get 'em hooked, get 'em in, get 'em off and go back for another. The run is over before you know it even though it lasts six to eight weeks in some areas. My boat is tuned and ready or will be ready about early July which is too early but I can barely wait.

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I gotta start tying!!! woooohooooo!

3. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    5 is a bit undergunned, I used a 10' 6 wt. for most of the work. I find an 8 wt. too heavy and after 1000 casts my arm is a bit toast by the end of the day and many liquid anesthetics had to be administered for pain. This year, I have the new 11' 5 wt. switch and will be interesting to throw this beach cannon with a Skagit Compact head. Oh boy!!!

4. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

I'm looking forward to getting a little pink on my 6wt VT2 this year. Picking up a 14.5' welded Gregor this afternoon so I wont have to chase those humpy's from the beach. I'll have an extra seat most of the time and will probably be fishing mostly weekdays.

5. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Its funny I have a few water craft and yet I find to catch Pinks I am mostly casting to the beach edge and catching most of my fish withing water your could wade in without getting your knees even wet.

6. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

never done any real amount of beach fishing for pinks, but I plan to do a lot this year. I know a few beaches good for SRC's and rezzies, but I dont know if they are the ticket for pinks or not. I really want to get em salt fresh this year. Delicious on the ol' BBQ and always a blast to catch. I prefer my 8 wt over my 5 wt for pinks, because in the rivers that time of year, you never know when a piece of steel will connect!!! If I had a 6 switch Id be using that

7. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    If the state of WA ever did an analysis on the sheer revenue that this fishery brings in, maybe they'd get their heads out of their A$$E$ and work on restoring the runs of native King and Steelhead. If wild Pinks can thrive why can't wild Kings and Steelhead do the same? Perhaps its the low commercial value, but imagine if we have even a third of the run #'s?????

8. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Just wondering if the Pink run is still likely to be on the beaches on SJI last week of Sep. Or is it pretty much done with a straggler or two?
    Maybe it won't matter because they'll be so many silvers taking their place. Pinks would be nice though!

9. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Done by end of Sept. up in the San Juans. They'll be in the rivers by then and humped and colored up, I'll pass on fishing for them in the rivers.

10. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Hopefully I'll just have to settle for silvers. Hopefully!!!

11. wet line

wet line New Member

Saltwater Pinks can be some really good fare but certain things must be done to insure the quality.

After catching bleed and then put on ice! This is the most important!!
    Fillet and remove the skin and then soak in a mild 50 - 50 brine of non-iodized salt and sugar. Add some seasoning to taste. I like pepper salt, a bit of garlic and some bay leaf. Soak for a couple of hours if broiling or on the barbe.
    Rinse the fillets and let dry for maybe 4 or 5 hours in the frig. More is better.
    An hour before cooking cover the fillet with dark brown sugar or molasses and let sit until cooking.
    Slide the fillets under the broiler on a low rack or on the barbe. About `10 minutes or so and then turn over and sprinkle more brown sugar on the filllet and finish off. When the flakes open up you have a wonderful piece of salmon.

Dave

12. Speychucker

Speychucker New Member

What a timely thread, I've started tying for our Fraser River run of pinks ( never said I was fast ). Always enjoy there willingness to chase a fly, my daughter started fishing for them when she was 8 yrs old and still comes along on couple trips every odd year. I love it, she's 21 now.

13. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

wow Dave, that is some prep work! I'm sure it tastes good, but I don't know if I'd go through all that work. If I catch some this summer I might just have to try it out though!

I used my 5wt switch last summer, and had no problem what-so-ever getting the pinks in without taking too long. I didn't catch a five pounder, but it seemed easy enough. Now in a river would be another story.

14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Sounds like there is a lot of interest in the pinks. As always, I'll be on the beach at Dash Point or nearby. I agree with bleeding and icing immediately. I always have a cooler with ice if I plan to keep the fish. I like them with mango salsa on top and then on the barbie. I don't skin them but lay them on foil. When they slide off the foil, they're ready to eat. They are also really good smoked if you are into smoked fish.

I used a 6 wt. for a long time and then the fish later in the run seemed to be getting bigger. I broke the tip and had to send the rod in for repair. While it was out, I switched to an 8 wt. Redington CPS. It's very light for an 8 wt. so I can feel it when I hook a good fish. Four years ago I lnded a 9 lb. 12 oz. male that had not yet raised its hump. That was a hell of a Pink, even on the 8 wt. Looking forward to more like that.

15. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

I agree with Mr. Saville about using an 8 wt. Though Pinks don't make a big run when first hooked, they go crazy when you get them close to the beach or your boat. A heavier rod, and a heavy 10-12 lb. leader, gives you better control over the fish at this critical point when it would be easy to break your rod. My favorite rod for Pinks is an 8'6" 8-wt bamboo rod that I made.

I use a blue "Katch-Kooler" (available at the big outdoor stores) to keep fish on ice. It works really well, and fits under the hatch of my sit-on-top kayak. I've found that fish caught early in the run taste a lot better than ones caught at the end of August; maybe because the earlier fish are further away from spawning; maybe because we get tired of eating them.

As for flies, I like relatively small ones tied with bright florescent pink materials. My favorite at the end of the 2009 season had a wing made of pink synthetic fibers that were marketed as "artificial polar bear hair" many years ago, with a large silver bead chain at the head. You don't necessarily need to fish pink flies. A guy I fished with caught a lot of fish on olive-over-white Clouser Minnows.

Tom