Tacoma Narrows fishing report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by bombtek79, Feb 20, 2011.

1. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Don you are a great guy up to great stuff and full of good infromation
    but you are crapping my style here

thanks for caring so much about our resources and actually doing something about it

hats off to you!

2. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Alas! Who'd have guessed in the sixties that I'd grow up to be Captain Buzzkill?

We had hoped to do an informal "fish in" this Saturday to get a snap shot of where the released Coho have ended up this winter but weather may be a bigger bummer than YT.

Here's the scoop from Larry P:

Just want to finalize this weekend’s data collection plans. These data will be used to estimate relative contributions by hatchery coho to winter sport fishing. The delayed release (late June early July) portion of the South Sound releases were ventral fin clipped (BY 08). Approximately 78k left ventral fin clipped delayed coho were released from SS net pens and 125k right ventral fin clipped fish were released from Minter Creek in 2010. The objective is to estimate the relative contribution to the fishery from these releases. Rearing these fish is expensive and difficult from a culture stand point but may be defensible if they provide relatively good returns.

The definition of a right or left ventral fin is similar to your right or left leg. To determine what fin is clipped, hold the fish belly down with its head away from you. Some of the ventral fin clips were poor and may not be complete. You may only see some missing rays, so do your best. If some are missing call it missing. Please take the fork length of the fish (tip of the snout to the fork in the tail…..because spawning ct often have tail erosion).

It’s important to remember that I am simply asking to participate in YOUR club event. I wish to collect samples from the fish YOU caught. I toyed with providing data sheets but I think it’s best to have each angler keep track of his/her own data and send me an electric copy. Information I need is as follows:

Location fished (General; example is south end of Totten Inlet)
    Number of anglers
    Time began fishing
    Time ended fishing
    Number of fish landed (by species……example; 2 coho, 1 chinook, 5 cutthroat, one starry flounder)

Number Species length (fork Length mm) Adipose clipped (yes/no) Ventral fin clipped (LV, RV, or NONE) Comments
    1 Coho 254 Yes LV Retained

My hope is that we can develop this into an annual event. I am planning to collect scales from CT but don’t think anglers should attempt this. Rich is planning to be in the Tacoma area to assist anglers and I will be in SS. I will be in attendance on Friday but please hand out my number to anyone wanting to participate who can’t make it. Thanks in advance. LP

Larry Phillips
    WDFW
    District Fish Biologist

3. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

In this circumstance, they attempted to clip the whole fin. In the case of coho, clipping a ventral fin doesn't really have any affect on them.

4. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Anybody who had planned to help with the Coho survey this weekend, thanks, but we've been iced out. I'll post an alternative date when we can feel our fingers again.

5. South Sound

South Sound Member

I will be out there on Sunday for the tide rip
    Josh

6. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

My survey however is still in full swing
    Ice or No Ice
    Rain or Shine

Please PM me ALL GPS coordinates of any Sea Run Cutthroat, Resident Cohos, and/or Blackmouth caught between now and the year 2020 so I can log them as part of my research.
    NOTE (Please keep all starry flounder information to yourself, tell someone who gives a shit, or send it to Larry Phillips District Biologist WDFW care of www.thatbeatsaskunk-bairly.com

Those participating will be entered into a drawing to win a certificate suitable for framing,
    will have their name announced on the radio,
    as well as be entered into a drawing for a fabulous array of prizes.

Bonus prizes may be awarded for those willing to mail me the fly you caught them on for futher reserch.

Thank you all for your willingness to contribute to this Landmark Study of the Behavior of of Puget Sound Salmonoids

Ps Don let me know of the alternate date I will make every effort to go out that day

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Do fish that we "kick" up onto the beach count???

8. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Such fish do count when resident Coho. Please fry said fish in panko crumbs after recording data. Limit self to one "kicking" per day.

9. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

That is funny . . .

10. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

What rocks about you Don is you are a guy who cares and still has a sense of humor.... which if you don't have
    life isn't funny.

Hope to go fishing with you someday and have you catch more fish than
    me...
    scratch that
    reverse it.
    Tight lines

11. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

we should do a dryflylarry's foosball day at Lions or something

12. South Sound

South Sound Member

Here are your GPS coordinates. Great fishing for all kinds of interesting fish. You will get a fish guaranteed, but you may have to wait in line. There are a number of people worldwide that know this spot. They are great jumpers however so you know they are there.
    47 deg 36 min 30.98 sec N
    122 deg 20 min 26.46 sec W
    Hope this helps put some fish on your table.
    Josh