Tacoma Narrows (Gig Harbor side)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tom Johnston, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Denny

Denny Active Member

In my opinion, an LMD (line management device) is absolutely required if you want to maximize your casting distance.

Water, whether salt or fresh, adds surface tension to the line. In the salt, you also contend with moving tide and weed, too; the LMD gets your line out of the water. The minimal impact you're noticing to casting when in freshwater is probably because you're fishing with floating line; salt, you're probably using intermediate. You can figure out the different impacts to your casting.

To me, if you're trying to maximize your casting efficiency and distance, an LMD is an absolute must when beach fishing.

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Water, whether salt or fresh, adds surface tension to the line.

You are not "Casting a Line". If you were simply casting a shooting head with no running line you wouldn't need a basket and we'd all cry out "look at it go!", of course it would be expensive and you'd never land a fish... But what you are actually doing is you are casting the portion of the line that is outside the rod tip. The rest of the line you are dragging along for the ride. tie a rope to a car and pull it in neutral on concrete. Now tie a rope to a car and pull on a muddy field... Got it?

If you're using a floating line on still water with no wind, that's one thing and you're mostly fighting surface tension, but most highperformance running line for heads sinks a bit if not completely, and the energy that should be pulling the running line along has to first "Raise the titanic". But throw in current and wind and you not only are dealing with "raising the titanic", Some of the line will be 20 feet downcurrent, and lord knows what crap you're going to pick up on the line to slow down the head. All of this reduces the energy even more, which is needed to drag that running line... Do what you want. But there actually is a right and wrong answer in this case if the question is "will a stripping basket help me cast farther?"

3. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

Now that we've thouroghly hijacked Tommy's thread...

I honestly beleive this has something to do with the salt and the way it affects the density of the surface film. I noticed this the first time I fished a fly in the salt (a couple of months ago.) That day I fished without a basket and used a Rio Grand full floater. What an ordeal.

I'm not a great caster, but I do OK. Sure there was wind, but I've spent many a windy day on the rivers. Tidal current? I've fished tons of big, fast rivers and never noticed a problem. There were some casts where I'd pick up a little kelp, but that wasn't the main problem.

In the salt, I'd strip out 60+' of line and double haul the bugger. Line would snap to a halt mid flight as if I'd only stripped out 40'. I'd look down and see a 10' loop up and back drifting off to my side. Wasn't anything I could do to let the water turn that line loose.

Next time out, I had a stripping basket. Other than some tangling once in a while, problem solved.

4. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

It has not been hijacked, I am simply reading and learning from others experiences.

5. Philster

Philster Active Member

Technically the water is denser so the line will float higher, and typically salt lines have a finer diameter because of that, so all things being equal the opposite of the problem you suggest should occur. Chop, and the current pushing against the belly of the line down current of you? Yes. The belly of line will have to be pulled against the pressure from the current, as it attempting to lift of the water, and any chop just contributes more of a resistance the the line lifting off. But this isn't any different than a river situation where you have enough belly out. We've all had times when we're changing a fly or talking to someone and the downstream belly starts pulling the line back in the guides...

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Not sure how the advice given could be construed as a hijack? Tommy had mentioned getting a new line as well as a stripping basket in his previous posts within this thread.
    Seems to me he's received some good advice from some seasoned saltwater anglers such as Richard and Philster. Hopefully he'll find it helpful to get into some more SRC's and coho in the future. :beer1:

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

The salmon bonking season fast approaches!!!! David:ray1:

8. Tom Johnston

When they really start running do they come in close like SRC's?

9. Tom Johnston

If I did not use the helpful tips Id be a fool!

10. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

The salmon MUST be in close for a crummy caster (like me)
    to catch them. David

11. Tom Johnston

That goes for I as well.

12. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

They come in pretty close....Ive caught returning coho in water less than knee deep before. All I saw was a big wake right behind my fly before it was slammed. Thats why some have said not to wade very deep. By the way I had just bought a RIO outbound the other day off the classifides and took it out for my first time yesterday, its a great line but Im going to have to get used to it. Very different from my previous line however it shoots throught the guides with ease.

Jake

13. Tom Johnston

Cool Jake, thanks for the info on the Rio line.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

TJ,

Having read your thread, one thought rings louder than anything else. If you want to make longer casts, you need to learn to cast better. It isn't the rod. It's you. There are next to zero bad rods on the market these days, and Lamiglass isn't one of them. A new line won't make you a better caster, but a good line intended for salt water fishing might be more pleasant to use. I don't know. I have lines that were inexpensive and some higher end ones, and I can cast them all about the same distance, for what that's worth. You'll be money ahead to spend your $ on casting instruction long before you'll be able to extract the tiny extra performance potential inherent in a high end rod.

I don't fish the saltwater beaches so I don't know the value of a stripping basket in that application, but I'd heed the advice of experienced anglers who say it makes a big difference.

Good luck!

Sg

15. Tom Johnston

Thanks SG, I have been looking around to who does classes. Found one person, might have to give them a call and set up some lessons.