Tactics for Springers on the Spey...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by JesseC, May 31, 2012.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Prayer.

I've watched a tactician dead drift good numbers of them. Amazing to watch.

2. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Ed, without seeing it myself this does sound like snagging to me.

3. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Why not just go steelheading with your worm weight/skagi setup and a big blue/chartreuse Intruder, bunny leech, or marajabou?

That seems to work as well as anything over here where I'm at.

4. Achilles

Achilles Active Member

Chinook are very hard to catch on the fly here in Washington. They are very picky eaters and are not as aggressive as summer run steelhead... You have to put it right in front of their face.

Good luck!

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Ditto to what Achilles notes above as far as our Spring Kings go on the Rogue. To hook one (save for plug fishing out of a boat) the odds of you hooking one, without 'flossing' it is slim.

Fall Kings, here or the Chetco? WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL GAME. Those fellows will readily take a fly. On the Rogue you can't 'legally' fish for them above the "Hog Creek" boat launch (about 5 miles down stream from Grants Pass) but even above that they seem not to have read the fishing regulations.:eek:

Their free spawn areas are well known and summer runs will collect below to chase the 'extra eggs' that float down stream as they fill up the Redds. Bugger's are very protective of their spawning bed(s) and a fly moving through (even if you're not fishing for them) will frequently get a huge grab. To keep yourself 'legal' limit the leader to 8#, which is more than enough for Steelhead. Hook one, just 'straight line' him and he'll blow off the fly.

6. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    Try a double-wide mobile home, sprinkle in severe obesity, a few tattoo's...

fredaevans and Red Shed like this.
  7. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

The assortment of replies here is pretty cool in my mind. There is such a long history of "proper technique" for swinging steelhead that a person can quote any number of books written and "be right." but when you start discussing spring chinook on the fly you only have what you learned for yourself. Pretty cool what happens when tradition isn't there to limit your train of thought an people just fish for fishings sake.

The last two years I've dedicated some time to spring chinook. Water conditions are the most important factor in my eyes. Developing an eye for springer taking water is probably next on the list. Think typical steelhead water just possibly a tad faster swing to it an ideally a good chop or boil to it to really break up the surface. From my experience they are super aggressive to the fly both hatchery and wilds alike. So a little speed on the swing can be a good thing. Super heavy tips and giant flies may sound like the answer but this is not true. The only thing that should always be heavy is your tippet and the rock you bonk em with.

Blake Harmon likes this.