Taking the wife down to the river......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Seth Tyson, Feb 10, 2014.

1. SpokaneFisherman

SpokaneFisherman Member

I have personally been down this road. First with my wife and now with two little girls. I think the responses so far (although a little sarcastic) are on the right track. If you want her to get interested in fly fishing for the long term I would not start her out in the winter on the Spokane's icy rocks. If you're going to do it, then keep it short and sweet and take her out during the warmest part of the day and then do a nice lunch and some drinks.

If you can break away for a half day I would hit up Rocky Ford. Being able to see the fish goes a long way towards keeping a beginner engaged. Fish a little bit in the middle of the day and then hit Chico's on the way home. Either way, good luck. Take it from someone who has been down this slippery slope. :)

2. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Truly I do envy you guys who's wives like to fish too. It just never stuck with any of my clan. That's ok too, but being a family man I won't likely fish as often. Maybe I should play more a**hole. Hard to imagine.
    G'luck.

Charles Sullivan likes this.
  3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I hve found it's more important that the ladies in my life (wife and daughters) know that fishing is important to me rather than try to convince them to do it with me.

The younger women in my life have shown some interest. I provide them with anything they need to acompany me. The wife does not come. She hates cold, wet or anything on a boat (seasick). I no longer either ask.

Go Sox,
    cds

4. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'm in the same boat, except my girls are in and near college. My best hope is for a sporting son in law. That lucky bastard inherits the stable. But not soon I hope.

Old406Kid likes this.
  5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Is there any secrets to making sure a [fishing-phobic] spouse has an enjoyable experience on the water?

Get the wallet out , stay at red's lodge on the yak in july and hire a guide, Even if they hate fishing its a pleasant boat ride if you have some chilled wine and deli type snacks.

6. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

All bad advice, (a joke) the pitch, humor and spontaneity is the key in taking your wife fishing. This is when you learn the fish aren't the most important thing in life like you thought.

7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Don't do it! She'll outfish you. It's embarrassing, trust me;)

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Man you guy's make women out to be such "PUSSIES" what a crock!

I kinda felt the same way until I took a head coaching job for Fastpitch softball at the 13 to 14 yr. old range. I had already coached some 5 years of baseball from 10 yr. olds to 15. I have to say there were more "PUSSY" boy's than girls! It took me the first year to learn what or how hard to work the girls because I just didn't know what to expect. after the first year and ending at 500 for the season the second season I stepped it up and worked them much harder and was amazed how they responded to hard work, sliding practice in pouring down cold rain for 1 1/2 hours, Instead of complaining they all painted there face's with mud like a bunch of native Americans going to battle - war paint they called it - the battle of dirt and rain and learning the stand-up slide was on!!! They faced the fear of running as fast as they could and sliding down a 40 foot grass covered muddy hill throwing themselves down that hill with complete abandon about there own safety. I remembered a 14 year old boy who would not do this while coaching 13 to 15 yr old boy's!

If you want to treat women or kids like little pussies, well that's what you will get! We went 13 for 14 that second year and lost the district championship in extra innings! Did they cry like a bunch of girls? yep sure did as tears ran down my face also!!!

For me the outdoors (in winter) is about trying to defeat mother nature and sometimes losing. Having the right equipment for the battle and the adventure all that brings to the table. Why would we want it any different for a women? Explained before hand about all this from the scary drive to the strong currents to battle while wading and the pouring down rain and nice rain jacket to battle it should all be explained in advance.

The biggest and worst mistake I see when men take wives or girl friends or there daughters in when a fish is hooked! They get all intense and worried about the fish being lost (steelhead and salmon) and start freaking out! Yelling instructions and even grabbing the rod. Don't do it! this ruins more fisherman than anything else even boys and men let alone women and girls.

When this happens and the fish is lost (or even landed) they feel responsible for a ruined trip after all you both went through to hook that fish and never want to be responsible again but won't tell you why they don't want to go next time!

As far as food afterwards I suggest finding a nice little country bar with some claim chowder and flies or salad. Who the heck wants to have to baby someone just to have them go fishing with you? Well not me, and in my opinion no reason to ruin an "OUTDOOR ADVENTURE"

Seth Tyson likes this.
  9. Seth Tyson

Seth Tyson Active Member

Thanks guys. I probably should have mentioned my wife is a veteran and tough as nails- so the cold and rain wont be a problem. Shes picking us up some beer today for the trip and seems excited. I may luck out after all.

Old406Kid and Mark Kraniger like this.
  10. generic

generic Active Member

Well shame on me, for thinking she was anything like my wife.

My wife is pretty tough too, but her temperature range is somewhere between a high 72* to a low 72*. :p

Seth Tyson and underachiever like this.
  11. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Seth,
    If your hot spot is above Latah you should be good.
    I was kind of surprised when I checked early afternoon yesterday and still had about a foot of visibility below
    the Rifle Club. Must be totally blown by now.
    Have a great time.

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

After reading this thread I found it interesting nobody mentioned Neil Young's song. Am I the only smartass here?

Greg Armstrong and Old406Kid like this.
  13. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Would "honey hole" be more appropriate?

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

+1. My wife's first experience was with an outfitter on the Bitterroot... one of the better decisions I've made.

15. generic

generic Active Member

In February?

Old406Kid likes this.