Tangles on my stripping apron

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jiminsandiego, Oct 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Methow

Methow Active Member

Jim, you may also want to look at Airflo's 40+ I use it and have had no problem.

Buzzy likes this.
  2. dp

dp ~El Pescador

old school tactics!;).
    just giving you a little grief

3. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Do you know if these are available in faster, like 5-6 ips, rates?
    I have a floater that I really like and would be interested.

4. m.albrecht@comcast.net

[email protected] Member

I have found that intermediate lines to become the most tangled. Anyone have an intermediate line that is less prone to tangles?

5. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I’ve had good success with RIO intouch camolux.

Buzzy likes this.
  6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yup. I've spent years uncoiling sinking lines from Cortland and SA. I purchased a sinking AirFlo line that was offered as a closeout item on an outdoor website and the coiling problem is almost nonexistent. I also own a couple of Rio lines in different sink rates and any coiling tendency is certainly not as troublesome as with Cortland and SA but isn't quite as coil free as the AirFlo.

At this point in time I would go with either AirFlo or Rio... as far as I'm concerned, I shouldn't need to do circus tricks (like stretching the line or whatever) just so the damned line doesn't coil up like a rattler in the stripping skirt.

7. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I got tired of coiling Rio density compensated lines....I use a streamer express fast sink sink tip on my graphite rods. The running portion is a dry line, thicker and zero tangles. It gets down to the weeds no problem.

8. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

I have been untangling my Cortland clear camo line for 13 years. Needless to say I do have a lot of patience, but then again, I may be stupider than most. Tom

Dave Boyle, GAT and Buzzy like this.
  9. Jiminsandiego

Jiminsandiego Active Member

I got a spool of Airflo Sixth Sense WF5/6s3 off Ebay for $50. New in the box but probably old (does not have a welded loop). I have not fished it yet (weather is kind of iffy), but it seems to be a lot better "behaved" than my SA line.

10. m.albrecht@comcast.net

[email protected] Member

thank you for the feedback. I think I will look into the Rio Line

11. dp

dp ~El Pescador

Rio Aqualux or Lake versions are good. not too much memory. also tough to manage at the beginning of each season. the best solution is a nice 20" rainbow to straighten the line. works every time!

Buzzy and Slipstream like this.
  12. Kfish

Kfish Active Member

I like my Rio Aqualux Intermediate as well, low coiling, very little tangle problems, casts well, and the clear head is a plus.
    The Rio 15ft Sinktip Type 3 freshwater does tend to tangle in the floating running line section however, sometimes for no apparent reason at all, like a magic trick! :)

13. m.albrecht@comcast.net

[email protected]omcast.net Member

Yes DP a 20" fat rainbow fixes a lot of things!

14. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

The pinching tightly and strip in or spin the rod is the only way to get twist out. I find the cause to be mostly spinning fly related.

I don't understand how the physics behind casting all the line to the reel will prevent twist and have never seen a valid explanation of it. I suspect it's fake news and an urban myth. If someone comes up with an actual physical explanation I'd love to see it.

Airflo low stretch sinking lines are great out of the box but are very delicate. If you get a tangle that pulls tight while fighting a fish the coating will be peeling at that location very shortly. Have not tried Rio enough yet to see if they're better. Low stretch is awesome tho.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ron McNeal likes this.
  15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I'm late to this discussion, but my 6wt Airflo clear intermediate full sink "ridge line" doesn't have any coiling problems, and I can actually see if its slightly twisted by examining it closely. Its several years old...got it used on a large arbor Orvis Battenkill reel that I bought from another member here. At the end of my fishing day, if or when I notice twists developing in it after being out on the lake both trolling and casting (doesn't seem to twist up much, though), I will cut my fly off and let out the entire line, and troll back to the ramp...I heard that will let some of the twists out, so I tried it. Seems to work, so I continue to do it. When making a beeline back to the launch, I'm often traversing less productive water, and I'm done fishing.

Dave Boyle likes this.