Taping rod sections together

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Brian Scott, Mar 1, 2006.

1. ssickle1

ssickle1 Slow and Low

The only ferell that works loose for me is the one closest to the real. I adjust it all the time. same deal on a 9 wt as a7wt. No big deal. Better than having them stuck together too tight.

2. Voyagertwelve

Voyagertwelve Member

I use pieces of Surgical rubber tubing on my ferrules, I bought a couple of feet of various sizes and match the size to the ferrule size I can roll it back to assemble or disassemble the rod. I've never had a ferrule come loose using this method and it is a lot easier to deal with if you have to break down the rod to hike into a good hole.

As far as the casting stroke having an effect on this if it is true mine would loosen all four sections at the same time:beathead:

3. FT

FT Active Member

I have always taped my 2-hand rods and have done so from the first day I took the first one I bought out to cast. That was back in 1993. I've not heard of any of the top spey casters in the world not taping. Also, the vast majority of the certified (whether here in North America by the Federation of Fly Fishermen, or in the UK by their certification body) recommend and tape all the time.

I detest having to check ferrule allignment when fishing, so I tape simply because I will fish for hours without taking the rod apart and I never have had a rod's ferrule loosen during those hours on the stream.

And perhaps the reason CND recommends taping is the Japenese owner and rod designer of CND rods is a spey caster who only fishes 2-handers for salmon and steelhead; therefore, he knows first hand the value of taping a 2-hander.

4. jhorton

jhorton New Member

When I started with two-handers, I religiously taped based on what I had been taught. As part of product testing, I have not taped a rod for over three years now, I have not busted one yet. Occasionally, a section will wriggle loose, but so far, I have always felt this during the cast and caught it in time.

Hardly conclusive, I know.

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Many good thoughts above; all on mark. Taping will not "save you" if you haven't put the rod sections together properly in the first place. You do have to watch the guide alingnment over time. Tape will loosen up on occation.

For someone used to using 2-handers (if your paying attention) you will deffently pick up on the change of 'rod feel' as you cast is you've loosen up a ferrel.

6. Brian Scott

Brian Scott Member

Great thread, great info. Thanks fellas.

7. SSPey

SSPey Member

the ferrule fit on my 2 is pretty weak

8. Wayne Chan

Wayne Chan Member

Wow, thanks guys. I never thought about taping before. I just got a spey rod and fished it for the first time last week. I broke it down at the 2-3 joint for transport on the pontoon. At the end of the day, I noticed how easy all the sections came apart. Pretty scary. No telling what would have happened if there was a big old grab at the end of the day.

9. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi Guy's,
    around 90% of the guy's on the Spey tape the sections together and have done so for as long as i can remember, most of the fishing is let on a weekly basis, and guests only take there rods down at the end of the week, the rods are carried on the rod carriers on the car during the week, this also saves on rods getting broken being taking in and out of the back of a car, where most rods are broken.
    Gordon.

10. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

I have taped and not taped but I am religious about constantly checking the rod ferrules for loosening through out the fishing day especially when throwing heavy sink tips. Some of the new ferrule systems such as the Snowbee spey rods don't seem to need the taping.

:beer2:

BG

11. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

I have 2 CND rods and they both stay real snug throughout an entire day of fishing. I often have a hard time seperating them at the end of the day. They are internal ferrule and designed to be so snug you can't can't completely mate the two sections together. I guess this is to accomodate for expansion from temperature fluctuations and over time?

Anyway- can't see much use in taping them as they NEVER come loose...

am I missing something?

CW

12. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

No, more and more rod makes are working on tighter ferrules. The deal with taping them is that 1) the torsion created in making various spey casts is different than in traditional casting and more likely to cause the ferrules to slowly twist apart 2)the power from a large spey rod is more likely to cause loose ferrules to break 3) because of 1 and 2 its a good idea to tape your ferrules because if your rod does break you're done fishing for the day.

It's more a precautionary thing than anyting else. If its good enough for Simon Gawesworth, its good enough for me.

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Three VERY GOOD points being made above.

SC is dead on with his first statement; if the rod was not put together properly (push and twist to seat the sections) it will still come apart with tape.

With longer single handers I may not tape same, but I do check the connections frequently. Why? Because almost all of my casts will be 'spey casts' due to lack of back casting room behind me. You can do 95% of all spey casts with a one hander; some are just a bit ackward unless you hold the small butt section in your up-stream hand. The other good thing about this is you'll never 'tick a rock' on your back cast and break your hook.

Given many of us (well at least down here on the Rogue) use rod racks on our cars there's only one set up/take down needed for the day. The one I use is a double magnet type I got from Red Shed; even at 80 mph nothing moves about. One exception requires you to zip by BIG trucks on the freeway; the wind they stur up can/will cause the rod tips to flop around.

14. listenup@frontiernet.net

listenup@frontiernet.net New Member

In following Simon Gawesworth' suggestion for applying electrical tape to the joint area of each section, he says it is necessary for the twisting of the rod sections and not for them coming apart (although that assurance is there). He starts approx. an inch or so from the joint, spiraling at a 45 degree angle until approx. an inch or so from the other joint. When you are going to break down the rod, he unwinds from one end and then winds or rolls the tape up over itself. He says he gets about 15 uses out of the tape before it loses it's adhesiveness. He's not a Scotchman.
    Mike

15. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Might as well,
    Taping where I bank fish is somewhat impracticle, we generally fish a run for 1/2 an hour or so then do a mean bush wac for 10 min. and fish again, then onto the mountain bike for a mile or so and back to fish, bushwac fish bike. I check my ferules every 10, 15 min. or so, and use this time to rethink the run, check the hook, change the fly ect. As said earlier, if you don't tape keep checking.
    Jim