Targeting Salmon?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Theron, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Theron

Theron Active Member

I have hooked 4 Salmon the last couple of times I have been fishing the beach in front of my house. It is in Marine Area 8.1 and if I interpret the rules correctly I cannot keep Salmon until August . I managed to actually land one of them. The knot on my hook failed on one, I had a LDR and the 3rd one broke a 1X tippet. I have been using a 6wt rod and fishing for SRC.
    My question is if I use my 8 wt rod could that be interpreted as targeting Salmon? I know I can't keep them but is it OK to fish for them?

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

I would only target Salmon during open season. 8 weight would not be a sign of any kind other than you are fishing. My younger years I had only one rod, a 7/8 weight glass rod and it was used for trout, bass, salmon, steelhead, flounder...you name it, well not tarpon and permit ;) . You are going to have some fun in August, and some good eatins!

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Terry, I would say stay at six weight or five weight, 3x leader at the strongest, and be willing to lose some flies. When salmon season is closed you may not target them. If you are rigged for salmon fishing, that is construed as targeting them.

Theron likes this.
  4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

But if you can't avoid catching them its probably better to just land them and let them go than to rip their face off trying to break them off. I vote 7wt:)
    Life on the beach huh...I keep trying to catch cutthroat but I can't keep these damn salmon off my line;)

5. Theron

Theron Active Member

Thanks Bob. I kind of thought that may be the case. I am hoping to catch some SRC but haven't hit on a fly they seem to like. I know my technique sucks too but I am getting in some good casting practice. It sure is fun hooking into a nice Salmon on my 6wt rod though. The one I got to hand was nearly 24 inches. I have seen a couple that looked bigger. I am trying to get them in so I can release them as soon as possible so I will probably lose a few flies.

6. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

Did you happen to get a picture of the fish? I'm interested to see what species of salmon, steelhead, or bull trout would be hooking off that beach. My gut says probably bull trout... maybe resident coho salmon or blackmouth? But if they are sockeye that would be awesome.

7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

My bet would be black mouth salmon this time of the year.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  8. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

would you consider adopting a drysider?

Ron McNeal and Theron like this.
  9. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

I've heard on this forum that sockeye run on the west side of whidbey island in early July. Is it possible that these are early sockeye?

10. splett

splett Active Member

I have tangled with plenty of black mouth Cutty fishing.I have always been surprised that you do not hear more about it .

11. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

I'm guessing these are bull trout as that's all I've seen off this beach besides small coho smolt. Try and get a picture or check for small white spots on it's back.

12. Theron

Theron Active Member

I have a picture but it is lousy and I can't seem to get it to upload. I only have limited internet access at the present time and I think the size of the picture is a problem.

nailbender likes this.
  13. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Home Page:

First world problems are a bitch

rustybee, Alexander and Eyejuggler like this.
  14. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

My question is if I use my 8 wt rod could that be interpreted as targeting Salmon? I know I can't keep them but is it OK to fish for them?[/quote]

Have I got a rod for you. I have a TFO Axiom 690-4. This is so much a 7 wt rod yet I line it with an Airflo 8 wt line and it casts like a dream. No one could say you were targeting salmon but you could sure have fun with a few with this rod.

15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I have landed (and have seen plenty of others land) plenty of salmon on a 6wt. If you are SRC fishing with some salmon on the side, I see no reason why a 6wt isn't perfectly fine. My father-in-law is beach/salmon newb and landed a 10lb coho on my spare 6wt last year. He also had it to the beach in just a few minutes so it's not like he played it to death.

Ron McNeal likes this.