Targeting Salmon?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Theron, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

has a warden ever looked at the line weight of anyone's fly rod?

Scudley Do Right likes this.
  2. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

I fished with an 8WT before I had a 6wt and no one said anything.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

What if you are fishing an 8 wt line on a 6 wt rod?

Well if OMJ was a warden I know he would give out a ticket for that.

4. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Seems to me that anytime I'm SRC fishing I may appear to be rigged for Salmon fishing. Especially given the general fly size (baitfish patterns) I fish. The only thing that may separate my SRC rig from a Salmon rig would be hook size.

I remember back in MT where targeting Bull Trout is against the law, so fishing big streamers throws a red flag so to speak. Problem is, I hardly fish anything but streamers on rivers and Westslope Cutties, Rainbow Trout and Brown Trout all like chunky streamers, so I could be blamed for targeting Bull Trout and yes, we did catch them as well but we CandR all our fish anyways.

Unless super obvious like throwing herring I find it would be hard to judge a fly fishers' target, especially with some people only having one rod. Shady business.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  5. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I totally agree with that. However, if you are upsizing your gear just so you can better handle a fish you are not supposed to be targeting, I'm pretty sure you're targeting that species. That doesn't mean you'd get a ticket for it, but you have to know you aren't 100% abiding by the regulations.

That's not cool Nick. NO one should EVER under/over line a rod under ANY circumstance! ;)

Bob Triggs likes this.
  6. Scudley Do Right

Scudley Do Right Member

You would have to find one first.

7. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I think some are missing the point. An angler knows whether he is targeting salmon or not and the concern should be not whether they might get a ticket but rather is it an acceptable angler ethic to target a species that is closed. It really is up to the individual angler and their own ethic.

curt

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:

Using a five weight or six weight rod, a single #6 or smaller fly,and 4X to 3X tippets, we stay out of trouble legitimately.

9. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

bingo, one has to self police themselves because there is no chance of being busted based on line weight, tippet strength, or other nonsense especially since the likelihood of being stopped by a warden is about the same as being struck by lightning.

the problem is that washington seems unable to allow targeted salmon c&r fisheries in the saltwater. this is too bad as other areas of the country allow one to fish for species that are closed for harvest just as long as you release them. it creates confusion with all of the differing marine areas and would have minimal impacts if selective gear were required when harvest was closed. i think back to last summer in june when i could legally fish for coho on the canadian side of swiftsure (c&r only since i couldn't land the fish back in a US port) but if they happened to cross a dotted line on the chart those same fish were off-limits to fishing. seemed an odd situation to me but i was happy to just be on the water fishing for coho without needing to harvest them. this happens regularly where one marine area is open for harvest and fishing but a 1/4 mile away it is shut down to everything but cutthroat and flounder.

it seems like we manage for poachers and scofflaws and not the majority of anglers who would either enjoy some non-harvest opportunity or wait for the harvest season to open.

10. sourdoughsmitty

sourdoughsmitty Member

heres a giggle when the wenatchee first started that #14 hook size stuff for whitefish a local tied up leeches on a #14 streamer hook well he was fishing for whitefish but could not keep the "red fish" off the hook (steelhead) in fact the warden did check his gear and got as much of a laugh out of it as the guy fishing as the regs only said size#14 no wording for gap or length, but he did pass along to him that maybe just maybe he was stretching the rule envelope a bit ;)

11. fear_no_fish

fear_no_fish Cpt. Hump Slayer

I must have really bad luck then. I've been checked by a warden 6 times so far this year.

12. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

I've been checked twice in my life, last I was with Dave on a kayak at Point Def. They showed up in a boat and checked.

13. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Was checked once last year for a license, as the guy walked away he stopped and asked if I was pinching off my barbs. I said yes and he just kept walking. I guess I look like a law abiding guy?

14. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

I get checked 3 or so times a year. (Not counting 2 boat inspections this year from staters) 80+ days on the water a year, participating in about 15 different fisheries. I will often see them but they are too busy to hit everyone on the water. They sometimes will watch from a far as well. I wish they did check more fly fisherman because there are many that think they are above the law. Even in regards to barbed hooks for steelhead and its a damn shame.

Alexander and Bob Triggs like this.
  15. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:

The game wardens have always been stretched for time and coverage. And ever since the budget crunches hit, the game wardens are working harder than ever, with less resources.

plaegreid likes this.