Teaching the girlfriend how to fly fish...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DarianClemensBWO, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Truer words were never spoken.
    Don't ask how I know.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  2. enlightened

enlightened Active Member

A lot of advice has been offered. BUT....about 4 years ago I was a bait fishermen. Then one day tri saw me. It was the coldest day of winter. It was New Years morning.Tri took me out fishing a week later...handed me a fly fishing rod and said go. Rocky ford...I did catch 3 due to the 7 weight rod in 35 mile an hour wind. Tri showed me nothing I understood but I kept at it. One day a week. Then six months later we were at Jesse's fly shop in Spokane. He showed me casting in 5 minutes and to this day I hear Jesse's voice in my head while casting. Long story short? If Tri wouldn't have taken me fly fishing we would have never dated. Patience and time...he never complained....even when I dropped his rod in Rufus and asked, "do fly rods float?" ;) nope they don't! But he showed laughter and compassion in such a way that the forever learning of fly fishing became an art and a place to heal or laugh:) take her fly fishing! Just remember, its just a day....keep it a happy one!

3. Fotdesign

Fotdesign Member

This past spring my wife, son and I signed up for the free Orvis 101 class. http://m.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=8249. It was all on land, but they had fun and I learned some better techniques. The follow-up is a paid 102 class on the water. No stress, they're equipment and you keep your relationship happy. I think that they're done for the season, but worth checking. Your local fly shop should also teach intro courses. Good luck.

Skysoldier likes this.
  4. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Get someone else to do it. If you do it you will be fucked...and not in a good way.

5. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

I've taught classes. I've taught husband & wife couples. Women pick up casting faster (subtle not power). I ended up teaching my own current wife. She gets it... then she doesn't get it... then she's fishing dry flies dragging them through the current... then she doesn't want to hear why that's wrong... then she catches fish... then she catches more fish... it's not always pleasant for me.

6. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    I taught my wife how to fly fish a couple years ago. It was the best choice, fishing wise, I've ever made. We have a lot of fun going fishing together. Have fun, and keep it fun.

enlightened and Paul Norton like this.
  7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

My Dad passed along some sage advice when it comes to teaching wife's how to drive, bowl, golf, fish, etc... don't. He always told the story about his attempt to teach my Mom to drive when they lived in Florida in the late 1940's. It ended with her putting the car in park at a streetlight, getting out of the car and hailing a taxi. :D When it came to Mom's interest in golf, a good friend of his suggested he hire a club pro to give lessons...which he did and that worked great... even though Mom never developed a long term love of the sport.

So when my wife hinted that she was interested in learning to fly-fish, I followed my Dads advice. We stayed with an outfitter in MT (who I'd known awhile) and said "she's all yours, just put me in front of some fish". She took to it very well and I chuckled to myself all day long thinking; now if I had said or suggested that to her, we'd already be back at the lodge packing.

Honestly, I really think when it comes to fly fishing, that is a good way to NOT kill what can become (as it has for us) a hobby we can both enjoy together. Because now when I suggest anything while were out, I start with "remember what John said..." ;)

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

As with anything Female , it's best to leave it to the professional instructers. At the very least I try to consult with a pro before I move forward ...

9. DarianClemensBWO

DarianClemensBWO New Member

She picked up casting very easily from just watching me then practicing for 2 days in the yard, so casting shouldn't be an issue... I'm thinking the south fork snoqualmie due to the activity on the dry, who doesn't love those little trout flying out of the water for a tattered ehc that's lost it's elk hair ? And yes patience will be tough but that's how it is with all things right?

Sawyer likes this.
  10. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

I like your choice, I think it'd work well.

Something that works for us is that we don't fish very close together, certainly not within earshot. I don't really watch what she's doing, although my wife has reached a point where she would know what questions to ask if she was going to ask for help.

Don't forget to grab a couple of pictures of her fishing, especially since it sounds like she's got the casting down fairly well, a picture of her, out on the water, doing well with the casting, fly line out behind her in a perfect loop, will do tons for her confidence in being able to fly fish.

11. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

The water is still a bit high for easy wading on the Forks so pick your spot carefully.

12. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

A couple things from my experience as a bamboo rod maker:

When bamboo rod making instructor Wayne Cattanach was teaching us how to make cork grips, he got really agitated about rods with small diameter grips, supposedly made for women. Most women's fingers are just as long as men's, and their hands don't have as much padding. When they put their hands around a slender cork grip, their nails dig into their palms, making it very uncomfortable to grip the rod hard enough to cast. Wayne's small teenage daughter walked in, and he demonstrated how her hand required a cork grip the same size, sometimes larger, than us men's.

A short bamboo rod is great for someone learning to cast. These rods usually cast with a slower stroke than today's stiff graphite rods, load well with a short line, and require timing rather than power. I've read about casting instructors who use bamboo rods to teach fundamentals.

Tom

enlightened likes this.
  13. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Took my wife out earlier this spring to teach her on a Spey... she swung up a nice Clark Fork Rainbow on her 3rd cast....

14. DarianClemensBWO

DarianClemensBWO New Member

Alright so if the forks aren't low enough for easy wading by early next week, any other recommendations?

15. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    If you don't mind a drive, I've found the Tilton is a decent smaller river for beginners. There's some good access less than mile upstream from Morton and within the first 5 or 6 miles downstream of the town.

Another good small stream (that produced great numbers of 8-10 inch fish on dries two weeks ago for Donna and me) is the North Fork Taneum south of Cle Elum/Thorp area. REally a fun little river. Just jump in anywhere up in the Forest Service section.

John Hicks likes this.