Team Rugged Dry Falls report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Roper, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I sure did like meeting all of you. But did somebody put No-Dose in what I was drinking. I would of stayed and fished if I had gotten some sleep.But with the insomnia I seem to have aquired it wasn't possible. I didn't fall asleep until I got home about 10:00 pm. I think that I was in a daze most of the time.

Jim

2. lotech joe

lotech joe New Member

I also had a great time. I missed the festivities on Friday night, and from all indications, I'm probably better off for it. Roper, Xtreme, Backyard, I'm glad I hade the chance to meet you. Pat, Ty and Randy, it was good to see you again. Whitey, Mattzoid, and Oldman, maybe next time. Sorry it didn't happen this time.
    It was a great outing at a beautiful lake, and I managed to get skunked. I had one solid strike trolling deep in the middle of the lake, but didn't manage to hook up. Got some pictures and met some nice people.
    This trip was my first excursion with a float tube. That BIG Waterskeeter Day Tripper is as comfortable as an overstuffed easy chair. But, when you are clear at the other end of the lake and the wind starts blowing the wrong direction, you're in for a long kick back home. I had charlie horses so bad when I returned to the take out, that I couldn't get out of the water without going on all fours. Ask hikepat, he watched me struggle. Thanks hikepat, for saving my pride by not offering to help a fat guy out of the water. That sounds synical, but I mean it. Thanks. All thing considered it was a great time, and I'm sure when I learn to kick better, the DayTripper will perform much better. It's really a great tube. And it was on a beautiful lake.
    Lotech Joe:)

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Just an update about that cheap $200 ODC Sport I bought from Outdoor emporium. After 10 hours on Dry Falls, rust started coming through the paint right on the welds. The guy down there said to bring it in, but if I don't get a refund or upgrade, I'm going to make Jim's trucker talk look like childs play. And I'll plaster it all over every site I can find.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

4. greyghost

greyghost Member

Well, sorry we didn't get to fish together, but had a blast chatting around some big flames and pounding beers, with some of you guys Saturday night. Sounds like we missed a hell of a party Friday, but the fishing worldanglr and I had made it bearable: Thanks Sparse, you know some good water, and how to fish it.
    My major dissapointment is that I really wanted to meet the Old Man, and after this weekends tales, I am that much more eager. Anyway, Bhudda, Backyard, Whitey, Rowdy, Hikepat...and anybody else, drop me a line and we'll do some fishing. I try to hit the water at least 4 days a week, even if it's during the middle of the night...so if you wanna do some fishing, you know I'm game.
    Pete

5. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    Great fun, great people, and some fishing. What else can I say besides what has already been said. I had a great time and got to meet some more great people....with the exception of Whitney, I missed her??

Anyways this whole chironomod thing was crazy. Im not sure im game for it yet but I will give it another shot and see if I cant "get into it". I still hold true to my passion (and element) of moving water but it was great to get out and hang out with ya'al. I did learn a few things about lakes and how to fish them....also made myself tie a bunch of chiros for the future??

Hey Xstream....I couldnt talk cause I was watching my bobber and couldnt break my "ZONE" }( }( }(

~Patrick ><>

6. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    One major thing I came away with this weekend is this:

If you have twenty feet of leader, a split shot, two flies, a strike indicator, and mad skills like myself....then you are better off to drop your line right over the edge of you boat then try to cast it. I felt like a total wannabe or something?? My casting attempts never even got out of the water.....and Roper has video to prove it :+ :rofl

Hey Scott.....thanks again!! and is this irafly I keep reading about actually Wallace?? Anyways get ahold of me one of these days so we can hit some of the waters we mentioned??

~Patrick ><>

7. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

The DF outing sounds like I missed a lot fishing and drinking. Well I do have to say I would have liked to attend the outing, especially since I have yet to meet up with anyone from the site. It was probably due to the holiday weekend and the fact that I went to DF the weekend before that I was unable to get the kitchen pass.

I will definitely be up for the next outing. I’m sure there will be one on the June 1st opener at a lake in the middle of nowhere. (41 days and counting)I’m sure most of you guys know where I’m talking about, since Whitey has mentioned it more than one time. It an annual thing for my buddies and I. It would be cool to meet some people from the site. :thumb

8. Bart

Bart New Member

Well, it sounds like I missed a classic trip. Glad to hear that the social committe covered for me and that all had a good time. Sorry to miss meeting a lot of new folks and seeing old partners in crime.

Lotechjoe - you have learned the first rule of float tubing "there is no graceful way to exit" and the second is that they were invented for the amusement of those watching. The trick is to be the first one in so you can catch your breath, stand there looking cool and composed and watch the rest of us try to get out.:D

Looking forward to the next gathering.

Bart

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Well if you would of been there friday in the P/M you would of had a vintage old man show. I also have a new float tube and I also tried to float away in it but it was not to be. I pumped it up and thought that I had enough air in it but alas I did not. But I tried to put my butt in it and all it did was sink. Since I'm also on the big side I had to sit in the water to take my fins off. I guess that I was heard all over the lake. Saying @#%%%%*^xxx. And the like. Now I'm afraid to go out in it at all. Afraid it might sink again. But I think that I'm smarter than a float tube.:dunno :bawling

Jim

10. lotech joe

lotech joe New Member

Bart,
    Thanks! Upon rememberance, the chuckle made the read well worth while. The thought of the site of me wallering out of the water like a beached walrus made me smile again.
    Lotech Joe:rofl

11. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Being the one watching you get out of the float tube and meeting you for the first time I have two things to say. First I do not feel that you are very old at all. Second you did just fine getting out of the tube. We all are a little shakey getting out of the water and back to dry land. It takes a few minutes or so to get the land legs back. Since I do not use a tube but use a kayak it my arms that get sore myself. After rowing around a lake all day I have had my arms be so sore that its hard to lift the kayak back to my truck. Maybe one of us should write a book.Fly Fishing lakes to get into shape. I wonder if I could sell enough copies to quite my job and retire?;)