Techniques with Euphausiids??

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tom Grobelny, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

From an earlier tread it seems that the SRC’s are eating a lot of Euphausiids. I copied a pattern that I found on the site and made up some of these little shrimp and even took them for a test swim for about an hour on Monday.

I had no strikes or did I see any activity, but it was a nice day and enjoyed a bit of casting practice with my son.

My question is how should I fish these Euphausiid patterns? Mine were lightly weighted so that they sink slowly. Should I make them heaver or use a sinking line to get them to the bottom? Should I let them drift with little motion to the bottom, then strip a few times and repeat? Should I strip wildly?

My technique on Monday was to strip 3 or 4 short strips and rest for a few (5 to 7) seconds and repeat. Or often, let it drift while I watch my son throw tailing loops or ask if he need help untangling his leader. To be fair, I managed to knot up my leader a bit also, just so he would not feel so bad ;) . He actually did pretty well considering that he has not been out very much and he showed considerable patience with untangling his leader.

Tom G

2. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Look for fish that are being active. Jumping, Splashing, boils. Generally these fish are actively feeding. That is where you want to concentrate on Euphasid patterns. If I dont see fish then I use attractor patterns to locate fish. There is a lot of water and a tiny fly like that is kind of like finding a needle in a hay stack with a SRC or Coho.
    When I fish these patterns, I use a dry line with a long leader or a clear intermidiate line. I let the fly just drift and swing in the current. Just barely keeping tension on the line, to feel a strike. I let it swing all the way to the end of the swing. Then I let it sit and then pick it up and cast out again.
    Hope this helps
    Chris

3. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

Thanks for the tips. I am new to SRC fishing (and fly fishing in general). Since the Sound is so close to me, I am planning to spend more time on the beach. I have already managed to catch one SRC on one of my daughter’s reject “Chum Babies” that she tied for the Beginner/Intermediate Marathon swap. It was a kick, especially since the only other fish that I have managed to catch have been a few troutettes (~6”) in the Snoqualmie forks.

When I was trying the euphausiid on Monday, I was stripping it pretty actively. I guess I have to learn some patience and to mix things up a bit.

Tom G

4. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Euphausiids and other krill are pretty weak swimmers. They can move in reverse (escape mode) rapidly for a short distance but primarily they are at the mercy of tide and wind -- and cutthroat and coho.
    Good Fishing,
    Les