Teeny 130 - Possible Replacements or Updates

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by OceanSunfish, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

For better or worse, it appears that I have to start considering replacements for my 20+ year application of the venerable Teeny 130 fly line.

I've spent hours reading sinking line information on SA, Rio, and Airflo websites. I believe there is merit with the current technology and materials. The T-130 is of old design (low tech) and I've just gotten robotic on how I use it, etc. IMO, it's a Type 3/4 and use it as such.......

I would appreciate personal opinions on (1) SA Sonar, (2) Rio Deep series lines and RIO 24' sink tip, (3) Airflo sinking lines.

To pare down the replies, I am only interested in 3-4 weight rod applications. I've used the T-130 on #3 or #4 rod (RPL/LL/XP) all these years. (I use a 490 RPL or XP like a 5 wieght)

I also like thin diameter lines as is the T-130. I think that is why I stuck with that line for so long......

The SA Sonar intrigues me with its claims of different sink rates integrated into a single line. I have no preference either way with hang markers.....

Thanks!

2. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

As a follow up, I learned that the SA Sonar design is essentially same as Density Compensation in the Rio Sinking lines. Nothing new to most of you regulars to still water fishing.

I also learned that the 24' Sink Tip lines sinks at 4.7 ips

It's my understanding that the Deep Series was mostly targeting those trolling flies OR in particular river conditions where the lines needs to get deep quickly (Deep 7) before being swept through the target zone.

So many choices......

3. chief

chief Active Member

I'm not sure what your question is. Teeny still makes the T-130. Do you just want to try something new and different (but similar)?

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I'm a fan of the SA Streamer Express 150 grain as a fast sinker for lakes, though it may be a tad heavy for a 3 or 4 wt rod. I'm on my second one. The first lasted great for about 6-7 years until I wrapped it up in the prop of my trolling motor once too many times. The running line is thin and intermediate sink. The line does double (or triple) duty - casting/stripping, trolling, and hanging vertical for deep presentations.

OceanSunfish likes this.
  5. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

Thanks for sharing your experience with the SA line. I will look into it....... 150 grain is fine on my #4. I like the fact that the running line is thin too.

6. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I love any line with a low stretch core. Strike detection and hook sets are phenomenal. Airflo lines are fragile, have not used Rio enough to form an opinion. I much prefer full sink lines over heads and slow sinking running lines. Running lines are for running water IMHO.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Irafly likes this.
  7. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

Both......

I was under the impression that the Teeny lines were no longer going to be manufactured. The 130 is a very thin line by today's standards, but then again, the coating on the running line didn't last too long if used regularly. (Don't step on it)

8. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

The low stretch or no stretch cores are what have my attention, honestly. The more violent the grab is, the better!

I got to cast and fish the Rio 24' Sink Tip 150 grain line and it will mimic what I've been used to sans the no stretch core......

It's the full sink lines that have evolved a lot since my use of an old SA full sink line. Depending on one's level of patience or the need to immediately get the line down quickly, (even in moving water without mending) there are an array of lines of various speeds. Pretty cool.

9. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

My uniform sink (density comp) and Deep Water Express lines from SA are still going strong after 20 years while Airflo T lines are literally good for one tangle before the coating comes off. Some progress has been made because I love casting and fishing the new lines but durability is atrociously backwards. Looking forward to trying some of the new SA sink 3/5/7..

10. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

Great information. I hear ya..... I've been away from regularly fishing for the past 12+ years so I have not been keeping up with the changes in lines, etc.

I've got plenty of 'older' lines and they still perform. I didn't plan to replace until they fail, but just wanted to understand if I missed a huge step forward in lines during my time away from stillwater fishing.

I've got an very old Airflo Delta 7000Ts Clear Slow Int that is in great shape. I've had good luck with this line.

11. chief

chief Active Member

I don't know about the future, but you can definitely find them to purchase today. But, as you are hearing, there are lots of other choices out there as well....