Tennis (elbow) anyone?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Luke Filmer, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Bob Triggs is about the most qualified guy around for this kinda stuff, it might pay to contact him with your troubles. Casting just isnt a natural movement, think about all other sports, when do you have to apply the same amount of power and timing in the backstroke as the forward stroke. Naturaly it is difficult and can cause injurys because, it just isnt a movement commonly preformed, unatural. When you are looking for more distance at the beach, it pays to not only use your arm but other parts of your body. Shoulders can mess up tracking of the cast but add mucho mucho power if you can keep them under control. Same with hip rotation, and even a push off with the legs on the final cast.

Peace,
    Andy

2. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I had a case of tennis elbow a number of years ago. I tried various store bought bandages, braces, salves and ointments to no avail. Finally, in desperation, I did what you did by posting on a flyfishing website and received a recommendation of a Ballard acupunturist friend of a fellow flyfisher. After a few months of needle poking, darkened rooms, burning moss, and sitar music (along with learning to grip my rod tighter), I was cured. Now if I can only get rid of the nagging aches and pains that have accompanied my 62nd birthday, I'd be truly happy.

Leland.

3. willieboat

willieboat Member

RX:
    Ibuprofin and a spey rod. Take two over the counter types three times per day the day before, the day of and the day after. :ray1:

Don

4. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

This may sound really odd. But I notice its hook setting, not casting, that upsets my elbow. Come salmon season in the fall my elbow always begins to twinge after several good days fishing.

5. salt dog

salt dog card shark

UJ, hard to get much sympathy with that one; aches from catching too many fish don't count. :)

6. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

I agree with the above posts recommending a spey rod on the beach. This is especially helpful when you are looking for salmon who tend to be a bit further out than SRC. The thing is ... this doesn't need to be a huge spey rod you would get into for winter steelhead. Right now I am using a 6 weight light spey rod with an 8wt Rio outbound. I can cast 50 feet without even trying very hard lots more if I concentrate. Using two hands seriously reduces the workload on your casting arm.

To tell the truth - I am a pretty bad spey caster (just learning) but I learned to overhand cast a spey rod in one afternoon. It's worth a try.

To keep equipment costs down I scaned Ebay and found a spey rod that was custom built by a beginer that isn't really all that well done, but it works. It only cost me $150. I see a few spey rods under $300 each month. If you keep your eyes on it you can find a good deal and get into it without blowing a lot of $$$$.

Give it a try.

7. Luke Filmer

Luke Filmer Member

Thanks for all the great advice!
    The 12oz. curls sound very therapuetic, and I can certainly try that one.
    I will contact a certified casting instructor for lessons, and as the damage is not severe enough to miss my forks trip next Sunday, I will post a report upon my return.
    I floated the Queets last Sunday, and it was slooooow.

Saw 5 other drifters and everyone was working hard for just a few fish.
    The water was 50 degrees, and low & clear, but I think the gillnets saw most of the action.
    A couple more heavy rains, and maybe next week will be the ticket on that river.

8. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I went to a physical therapist for a sore elbow years ago. I discovered that the problem was that my grip was not strong enough. Working with those little hand-held squeezers cured the prolem. I still do 5 sets of 20 with them every evening. Also, when I was editor of Flyfishing & Tying Journal I ran an article by Merriam Pink, MD who was head of physical therapy at UCLA medical center as I recall. She provided a set of exercises for keeping shoulders strong. I still do these three times each week using just 8 pound weights. I may be able to dig up the article but don't know how to post it. I'm a short 160 pounds and 72 years old and have absolutely no elbow or shoulder problems with any kind of rod.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

9. scoutlvr

scoutlvr New Member

I have had the same problem from time to time and found a great solution. It is called an Aircast that's used to help tennis elbow. I wear it all the time while fishing and often at work. IT helps a Ton and I got mine at Big5.

Good luck, Nathan

10. tailwalking trout

tailwalking trout New Member

wrap your arm tight just below your elbow it helps with the pain. just be glad your not a framer.

11. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Nathan, is that a stretch fabric brace of sorts for around your elbow?

12. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

I am happy to run across this post and all its good advice. I've been out FFing more and more this year and had more and more pain in my elbows and wrists of recent. I think this is partially due to FFing but it exists in both arms. Some of the worst pain is while I am fishing (while casting). I finally went to a doctor this week. I assumed he was going to tell me to stop fly fishing whereupon I was prepared to kill him. Fortunately this did not occur. He declared it Tennis/Golfers elbow (i.e. tendonitis). He gave me some anti-immflamatory drugs and I am wearing arm band thingys right now. These really work - they hurt so bad, I can't feel the tendonitis anymore!

I plan on starting weight training and stretching (based on input from the Dr.) once this initial stuff helps correct the situation (assuming it does - into Phys therapy if not).

I am looking forward to getting into spey casting for the reasons mentioned above (and several others).

I have seen that some fly fishing gear companies sell squeeze balls for correcting this situation. I bought one but it made my arm hurt more.

Probably should get some casting lessons.

13. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

There are exercises

I posted on this thread noting that I once published an article several years ago in Flyfishing and Tying Journal on shoulder exercises that will lterally cure aches and pains in the rotator cuff. Somehow it didn't get posted. I may still be able to find the piece which was sent to my by Dr. Merriam Pink, chair of the UCLA physical therapy school, as I recall. I followed the exercises to straighten out shoulder strain and still do them three times a week.
    As for Tennis elbow; it is a grip problem. A physical therapist at Weyerhaeuser discovered this for me. Using hand grips to strengthen my grip cured the tennis elbow. I still to five sets of 20 with the hand grips three times each week.
    I will look for the old text and photos if Washington Fly Fishing would like to post them. Please let me know.

Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

14. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

What do you do for a living?

If you work at a desk, behind a computer...take note if your forearm is resting on the edge (corner) of the desk. That has been the cause of some of my pain...

Try one of those store bought wraps by ACE , they basically immobilize the elbow and work wonders.

In addition, make sure to use up a few sick days for streamside therapy.

15. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Mr. Les Johnson,

I for one would love it if you could post the articles you speak of. I will do any amount of exercizes, streches, weight lifting, standing on head, (not acupuncture, well maybe as a last resort) to stay in fly fishing. I have honestly been worried I would have to give it up.

Tried to send you a pm but wouldn't work - ??

Jim F.