Tent and sleeping bag advice needed

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Creatch'r, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

sean, im seeing people saying get a 4 season tent in this thread. i do NOT recomend it for the OP. get a three season. 4 season tents to not breath nearly as well and you WILL wake up to lots of condensation in ur tent, esp on a humid night.

If you are planning on doing any ski touring or alpine climbing, a four season tent is a reasonable investment, but please do not get one for camping out on the hoh!

again, i promise im not stearing u wrong here, but u want a cheap synthetic bag (0 degrees) and maybe a couple army surplus wool blankets :)

as for a tent look for something that a) fits ur cot and b) isnt to expensive. the rain fly should provide 100 percent coverage as well! this is important as many cheap tents have rain flys that just dont cut it!

Also, if ur gonna basecamp in the olympics your seriously gonna want a couple nice tarps to hang over ur living area. itll make ur life 100 percent better.

2. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

also, i recomend the trading post. i went to there showroom and was amazed. real good store at real good prices for new gear.

3. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Dustin's advice is solid. No single wall, 4-season tent for camping on the peninsula. You will get wet from condensation. You're base camping, so you want something as big as you can get (afford). I would hesitate to try penny pinching on the tent (staying dry depends on the tent) but with some reading and question asking you'll come up with something that'll do it for you, at your price. For extended stays, rigging a tarp above the tent is an excellent idea. A good tent will be waterproof for a long time, but if you do go cheap you'll stay drier. Use a footprint or tarp under the tent too. Adds a lot to waterproofness, plus it makes the floor of the tent last a lot longer. FYI, all of my tents have been North Face, Mountain Hardware and MSR. All have been waterproof for years. Personally, I think the MSR Hubba/Hubba Hubba/Mother Hubba series tents are some of the best designed tents you can get. May be more money than you wanna spend, but it'll be years of bombproof dryness.

Dustin's right about the sleeping bag too. Pricey down bags are for backpacking; they're lightweight and pack very small for their warmth rating. Synthetic fill bags are lots cheaper, heavier and bulkier. Since you care about warmth and not portability, this one's a no-brainer for you. Get a bag rated about 10 degrees F lower than you temps you expect to sleep in. Don't worry much about getting a bag that's too warm. You can always ventilate, or open it up and sleep with a blanket. One thing you need to do (if you're not already) is insulate yourself from the air below you. On a cot, there's no barrier between you and the cold air beneath you. Get a cheap foam pad to sleep on and you'll increase your warmth rating dramatically. This is important!! Without a pad, you can be warm and comfortable on top, but you'll always be cold and clammy on the bottom. Leads to a rough sleep, not conductive to building energy for fighting winter steelhead.

4. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

lots of good advice. thanks guys!

5. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Bill has hit it on the nose. Good ole military mummy bags are awesome (used my grandfathers outside all the time)..

6. LMFOA

LMFOA New Member

You would be hard pressed to find even a moderately priced tent without sealed seams. Even most factories in China factory seam seal tents.

As others have pointed out, a four season tent will have ventilation issues. As far as make / brand, you will not gain anything with a tent from brands such as TNF. Most moderate to high quality tents are coming out of a hand-full of factories in Korea. Those same factories / production lines crank TNF one day, Big Agnus the next, and REI and Hardwear next week. Inevitably, due to margin structures, you are going to get more bang for your buck with REI. REI has the best designers in the market and the strictest testing protocols. Their REI Outlet is a great place to look, as is the resale center in Seattle. Or just shop someplace like STP for a deal on a brand name tent.

As far as bags, the same company owns Kelty, Slumberjack & SD. Sourcing is out of one office and factories are being consolidated. Any low temp rated synthetic bag will work fine. Use foam or a self inflating mattress on your cot, as others stated. If you want to break the bank on an exceptional bag get a Montbell.

Note that Marmot Mountain Works stores have little to do with the company Marmot. They are separate entities and have been for years. The same dude who owns the store in Bellevue owns Backpacker Supply in Tacoma.