Tent trailers?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Mark Walker, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

The Rockwood that Alex mentioned is a very nice unit. I stayed in one last year for 2 days. I thought it was overkill for just 2 days, but i was along for the trip and couldn't complain.

I agree with Salmo- AC isnt camping.

My grandpa would call me a sissy if i wanted to camp in a trailer. My grandma would agree with him.

2. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Airstream!

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Ok, let's put this fact to bed. I agree A/C is not be a "necessity", but when you're trailering/tenting/fishing the eastern Sierras and the summer temps easily bang 100 or more degrees, it's a nice "luxury".
    Bought a tent trailer last Saturday, but not the one we (I) had originally set out to buy. It does not not have A/C, and for you real "diehards", it doesn't have an inside potty or shower either. :p
    Will pick it up this Saturday. Still have the fifth wheel, too. :D
    More to come..........

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I really like that Rockwood that Alex has. Not sure what my mileage would be with my 2003 Dodge diesel pulling a smaller rig. My camper is a Lance "Squire Lite" 1994. I consistently get 15 miles per gallon on a 2000 mile trip. Once you have a little bathroom, it's hard to give it up.
    dodgediesel.jpg

5. Mark Walker

Well, the RV dealership jacked their price up by a +$1000 over their original quote on the one we originally had in mind, so I politely told them we'd pass.
    Ended up with this one. He hasn't removed the ad yet;
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/4156002095.html

Oddly enough the guy that owned it towed it with a '05 Honda CRV, the same vehicle we have. Trailer is in mint condition having only been used twice and kept in a heated garage. His new bride wasn't keen on the lack of "amenities" so they went to a larger hard sided trailer.
    After all was said and done, he threw in the Honda bolt on receiver hitch/2" ball/& anti-theft lock. I purchased this brake controller and extra wiring requirement gizmos;
    http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Hopkins/HM47297.html

Last Saturday we drove down to pick it up.
    The owner, already familiar with the Honda installation, was kind enough to offer to install the hitch and wire up the controller for us. No small feat in itself. It took us almost 7 hours to do everything. Honda had no RV harness under the dash and the rear cargo compartment had to have the floor and side panels removed to access the wires for the tail/brake light harness. Good thing this guy was a nuclear missile tech in the Air Force and a retired electrical engineer from Raytheon. All connections inside and out were sealed with marine heat shrink and zip tied to boot. I'd have been so screwed trying to do the electrical stuff. Everything worked perfectly the first shot!
    When it was all said and done, he took $5500 for the pop-up and wanted nothing for his time installing everything. Heart warming to see there are still a few folks like this out there.

I'll most likely flip the springs and go to a 13" rim for a little extra clearance.
    Any suggestions?

6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

Yeah - get out there and have fun with it!
    Nice trailer!

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Mark-you did real good.

Ive

8. Mark Walker

Thank you, gentlemen.:)

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Kelly, Mark; think "Kelly"!!