Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Terminal Connections

Spey 
1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Joe Smolt 
#1 ·
Ok. This is where I am at. Not a do all I realize. I purchased a TFO 12'6" professional rod. I loaded with sufficient backing, Airflo Skagit short(or whatever the nomanculture is). I tied up RIO Braided Loops in 7'6", 10', and 12'6" shooting heads. My question, on those shooting heads what connection should I use to the leader. I see that line to leader using nail knots, loop to loop. line to leader albright, are all popular. I am seeking your opinion. Once again, thank you in advance.

Bryan

#5 ·
Always at the fly. I used to have that problem with perfection loops all the time, but now my loop to loop connections are made out of Triple Surgeons, except for mono or flouro in the higher test lines...say 20# and greater. Be sure to set your surgeon loop correctly, if it has slack in one of the wraps it will break. Just be sure to pull everything tight at the same time, line and tag end and loop end. Or a double Surgeon if you prefer.

#8 ·
Someone always responds with that comment: 'I've never had one fail'. It doesn't make it "interesting" or "not so", it's just a flat weaker knot then a triple surgeons.

Where are the knot nerds at, that can give us the failure rates anyway?

Like you I only use them in the larger diameters of mono where a loss of 25% to 30% of knot strenght is no biggy. (If course I'm guessing here on the percentages.)

#13 ·
Nailknot about 3 inches 35# mono to end of sinktip with perfection loop on end of mono. Improved cinch knot with two wraps around perfection loop for tippet connection, use about 3 feet tippet, 8 to 12 pound fluorocarbon. Lefty's mono loop to fly.

#14 ·
I'm not a fan of nail knots for leader connections to tips. I've had too many of them pull offf. Maybe the could have been tied better but I would recommend an albright with 30# Maxima with a loop on the end to connect to the leader. I've had good luck with perfection loops.

GBeeman

#15 ·
Thanks Guys. Here is what I have done. I googled knot strengths and found that some sites said both the perfection and the surgeons loops were near 100%. On North American Fisherman and their knot wars they listed the perfection at 90% and the surgeons at 95%. I have now nail knoted a 24" section of 30lb. maxima to the shooting head with a perfection loop on the leader end. I stepped down in 5lb increments to 15lb, tied a clouser with the hook trimed, and spent my lunch time grass casting the whole outfit. My analysis, I've got a lot of work to do. Some casts were beautiful and I felt good. Others, well, they were plain ugly. I will play around with a few different setups and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help. By the way, I will be on the Washougal at 6:30 tomorrow morning for my first "live" test..

Bryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.