Terrible Steelhead Video

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Zen Piscator, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Davy

Davy Active Member

ah come on Zen!!!! Destroying everything this man owns would be a lot more fun wouldn't it????

2. knothead

knothead Banned or Parked

It's not a moral issue. It's about being good stewards of a fishery. If the regs say don't remove the fish from the water, even for pictures, don't remove the fish from the water. There is probably some other hot-headed hypocrite out there looking at all the pictures of wild fish being hoisted out of the water for pictures and thinking " I'm going to go bust that guys stuff up."
    Seems some folks ascribed to "relative stewardship, (morality)"
    With a name like Zen, you should know that carmadic justice will be serve.

3. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Man if I was haulin' in a nice size wild steelhead and had Credence playing in the background I would probably get so excited I would whack it too!

j/k

4. Rich McCauley

Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

jbuehler,

I am, to say the least, somewhat confused about your post. Earlier you hijacked the Deercreek TFO thread to go on and on about the sancity of the fish and the stream. Now you are advocating the killing of wild steelhead. It matters not the location, nor the legality, the killing of wild steelhead is morally reprehensible . In order to provide consistency, may I suggest that you cease smoking/drinking you lunch. On second thought perhaps you should partake on a regular basis. It might mellow you out.

I also have a suggestion in referance to your earlier post regarding a pissing match:

If you are going to engage in a VERBAL pissing match it is advisable to use your big head rather than the little one.

5. LD

LD Active Member

Thanks for the note. You love fishing and steelheading very much...thank you. I catch and handle a lot of fish...we keep a lot but we also let many more go back. Our fisheries managers have our regulation set so we can keep fish where is is safe to do so and in quantities that are safe for the river system. Our wild Steelhead are begining to thrive again and I think we should all be proud of the many, many, many Steelhead that we have released...

Here is the response to the email I sent him. I did point out that he could not release the fish once he netted and boated it. Looks like he is also using a nylon knotted net? He deals with fishing daily but what I am hearing is not the steelhead are thriving?

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Zen,
    I had watched the video a few days before you posted this. My thoughts are the guide should have asked the client if he wanted to keep the fish well before it was netted, not afterwards.
    While I don't agree with him keeping the fish, it is legal. I hope in the very near future the state will see the light and implement statewide wild steelhead release policy.

One other thing I'd like to point out. This shouldn't be a issue about what type of equipment is used while fishing. There are many gear guides who have worked very hard to promote wild steelhead release to their clients. We need to work collectively as sportsmen to achieve goals, not against one another based on the gear we use.
    Brian

7. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Man oh man..........This place is getting way WAY overly sensative....

See the "j/k" in my post........That means: JUST KIDDING.

Furthermore if you had ever payed attention to my other posts, or even had 2 minutes with me in real life you would realize that I would NEVER WHACK A WILD STEELHEAD and that I am a fine, sensative, well educated person WITH A SENSE OF HUMOR.

All you people need to take what you read with a grain of salt and think about the fact that almost anyone on this site, by the fact that we are shurely all fly fishers, care deeply about the preservation of our wild fish.

SO SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION.

It was meant to be a joke about the CCR in the background while a native steelhead was getting whacked.

I thought that video was despicable! :mad:

I find it very ineresting that many older peoples around here miss the heavy use of sarcasm by us young guys. There is a big difference in the sense of humor in us twenty somethings and the older folks. Learning that kind of thing is what real honest communication is all about.

So now you know. My generation is addicted to sarcasm.

8. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

I think what he should be doing is trying to persuade the client to release it before it is netted. If they want to keep it, I guess that is thier choice because it's legal. I think it is up to the guide to inform the client how important it is to release those though, especially since his business and livelyhood depends on them. He would be kinda bitting himself in the ass by keeping a lot of wild fish...

Also, even though it is legal, I definitely agree with not promoting keeping those wild fish like that. If it happens, that's fine, just don't post that video on the internet, post one where you release it or something.

9. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Its not a gear/fly fishing issue. Thanks for all the responses.

10. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

HA!!!! too bad it isnt funny, but you cannot honestly believe that.:confused:
    Our fishery managers are the reason we have hardly anything left at all... The numbers of wild steelhead left are so low its sad we can even fish for them anymore.

The good thing is that there are a lot of guides out there that will protect the resource and not allow the retention of wild steelhead. If you want to book a trip, support those individuals...

11. Tylerflies

Tylerflies New Member

Perhaps there could/should be some regulations for guides as to a protocol on landing fish. Land the fish in a rubber net while in the water and then ask the client if its a keeper. Regardless, even if the kill was legal this fish should be released. Is it true that wild steelhead are a threatened species? Take action and email or call but I don't see that it will matter. this is an individual choice based on how we all veiw this morrally and ecologically. Some people just don't seem to get it, and since enforcement seems to be few and far between, then what is there to do? other than taking personal responsibility for ourselves, individually to release wild steelhead quickly and carefully and hope that others see why this is important. I figure that if you do contact this guide, be respectful so that he isn't immediatly defensive. opening the door for discussion is better than an attack.

As a side, I have heard many different things about lactic acid level rising in fighting fish, and the effects on post release mortality. anybody have any information on this. Some research that might conclude whether our well meaning efforts to release fish are successful or in vain.

Tyler

12. Davy

Davy Active Member

well, I am a fine, sensitive, well edukated person with a sense of humor.

aren't I????

13. Scottpuck

Scottpuck Member

If only there was this much energy expended on the "real" issues...

When are people going to learn not to beat up fellow sportfishers? Ethics aside, there is nothing in this video that proves he is breaking a law (Unless I missed the river and the date it was caught).

Beating people up for ethical reasons (when its within the law) is plain wrong.

... and dont even get me started on the raping of our rivers in the name of tribal substanance.

If you really want to help, start lobbying for change. I would love to see nothing more than C&R for all native and wild fish across the state.

14. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but all fishing guides should be promoting C&R, after all, fishing is how they make a living.
    Good on you Zen, some guides (guys) have no respect.

15. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Zen, this is in no way meant to be a slam... just a question... If you are so passionate about all wild steelhead being catch and release have you done anything to get this changed on a whole? Sure it's nice to let out some frustration and vent on a guide that is keeping wild steelhead (legally), but is that really going to solve anything? What about proposing new regulations to make rivers C&R for wild fish? The guide did nothing illegal in the video that I could see, not that I'm condoning the keeping of wild steelhead even where it's legal... but I think our energies would be better directed in making changes to the laws where possible.

Scott