Terrible Steelhead Video

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Zen Piscator, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Reposted from iFish, original post by STGRule:

2. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Scott,
    Thanks for the questions. Yes, I have.

The walla walla river has a c&r season from feb to april above the oregon border that is all wild fish. I have spoken to biologists and gameys about this and the ball is now rolling to close down that season. Furthermore I would like to see a march 31st closuer of our rivers instead of an april 15th closuer. In some local tribs fish are in FULL spawn mode by early april but by that time most of the hatchery fish are either at the hatchery or caught and killed.

With calls to WDFW and letters to politicions we are slowing making changes.

3. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Home Page:
    Nice Post Zen, email sent.

It's irresponsible in 2007 for any guide service to promote that there are enough wild steelhead to continue the killing. As pointed out, this guides training has been to land the fish first, ask questions about killing it later. He didn't check for an adipose whatsoever...

One can only hope that this type of video will 1. Drive potential business away, 2. That the company will get a deluge of "educational emails", and lastly, 3: That this "guide service" will remove the video and require that their guides practice C&R for all wild fish.

Just because the WDFW caved to Mayor Reed (Forks) does not carry enough weight to suggest that wild fish are thriving, or for that matter, maintaining. Every year, the counts go down. Nets and killing are mostly to blame. That said, ultimately, it is the WDFW that we should all be frustrated with. Their MSY ideology is certainly partly/moderately/largely to blame for the ESA listing of steelhead (and others) in the Puget Sound.

4. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Thanks for the answer! While I haven't been involved yet, I'd like to be. I'm pretty sure I should join a fly club and start with that...

Scott

5. xafisher

xafisher JBrown

I really don't think this is the issue...Tribal fishermen have held subsistence fishing long before settlement and this was never considered "raping the rivers"...especially "our" rivers, which by the way for some reason are mostly named after the very same tribes. Most tribes I've seen put more effort into habitat restoration and forfeit their treaty fishing right to not impact the numbers of endangered wild fish.

As far as the issue with the guide netting a wild steelhead and letting it flop on his boat, although may be legal, not very wise with the resource.

6. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

try kim and karen:)

7. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Home Page:
    Yeah???
    Try ice fishing!

8. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

In general the rivers are cool enough that the fish don't get going metabolically the same way that trout would. It's possible, but it's more related to how fast you land the fish more than anything else. If you're taking more than a few minutes to land a 10lb steelhead, you really want to evaluate how you're fighting the fish. In *general* catch and release fishing has very little effect in the overall survival of the fish run as a whole. Individual fish mortality and reproductive success may be reduced, the effect seems negigable on overall populations. Repeated studies of the Skagit C&R season bears this out as well as some other rivers. Salmo_g or Smalama may have significantly more detailed data, but in general the following rules are pretty good ones to live by:

1) Land the fish as quickly as possible
    2) Keep them in the water
    3) Handle them as little as possible

9. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

i like try...

10. gerhardtsoeffker

gerhardtsoeffker Member

alright then....>>>>>........I'll take the hit.......malatov tonight......

11. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Looks like a common theme of Breaking the law in these videos.
    Check out how long the fish is out of the Water. Solid 20 seconds No wonder it is struggling at the end.

12. stan

stan Banned or Parked

At least he took his boat to the shore to get the fish. It is not like he netted the fish and brought the fish in the boat then released the fish, it is just a case of taking a trophy shot, which I dont mind if precautions are taken not to keep the fish out of water too long (hold you breath, and dont keep it out longer than you are holding your breath) and make sure not to hurt its slime layer.

Take a look at the picture of the wild steelhead kept:
    1) tackle fisherman
    2) big cooler in the background

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    check your PMs

14. stan

stan Banned or Parked

You did see the big cooler in the background right? I think his asking the client if he wanted to keep it was rhetorical. The clip that showed him releasing the steelhead is very similiar to fly fisherman releasing steelhead in states that dont have the "cant take a picture of a fish out of water". I kind of doubt from the way he rowed to shore and released the fish that he would of released the kept fish.

15. stan

stan Banned or Parked

Does holding the fish by the tail in the water and pumping it back and forth (so called fish cpr) help in reducing lactic acid buildup?