TFO Spey rods - anyone try or own them?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Richard E, Feb 28, 2006.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Mike! Very good to see you here on the board.:thumb:

Mike knows his stuff and a good man to drop your dimes with. The TFO rods are a very good value, very good casting rods and an even better "price point." Good proof that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get into the "2-hander game."
    Fred

2. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

I got one of these babies from Red Shed. Poppy will take care of you. I cast a Delta Spey 9/10 cut and looped for tips (by Aaron RRA). I think it's a great rod for the price. :thumb:

3. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Actually it is the custom series. I recently switched from an 8/9/10 WC to the 7/8/9 WC, and I think I am happy w/ the results. 6/7 Delta on an 8/9? Wow, either CND is over-rating or Airflo is under-rating.

I think he was reffering to the CND. But if this is true, then the TFO 6126 would not be too much of a change from the CND 13' 8/9?

:confused:

I have cast a Sage 6120 and I liked the feel as a lighter rod companion the CND. The sage is out of my range though... 7 bill$.

CW

4. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I believe I said I was referring to the CND 13' Expert. The CND 1308 Custom is another animal and has a lot more power. A great rod!

I don't believe either of the above are correct. Some people just like a lighter load. I can tell you the numbers on the blank are only a starting point when matching lines on two handers.

The CND Expert 1308 and the TFO 12'6"-6wt will both cast the same lines quite nicely.

5. narwhal

narwhal Member

What about the TFO rods in between teh 14' 9wt and the 12'6" 6wt? Isn't there a couple of 8wts? They woul dprobably work well for smaller steelies wwhere the 9wt is a bit big.

narwhal

6. Voyagertwelve

Voyagertwelve Member

I went to the TFO demo days event at Fishy Business in Olympia yesterday and Dick had a prototype that was really cool, it was two bottom sections for a TiCRx 8wt 9' top three sections. In other words you take the two bottom sections and ad the top three sections from your (or in this case my) TiCRx 9' 8 wt and you have a 5 piece 13' 8" spey rod that has a traditional action. I picked up one of his reels that had an 8 wt airflo delta spey line on it and had a great time. I will definately be giving this an on the water try at Sandy. This combo outcast anything I had tried from TFO and I have liked their rods very much in the past

7. jhorton

jhorton New Member

voyagertwelve, I think that when you add the two bottom sections you actually end up with a 5-piece rod that is 11'3". I would try it with some lighter spey lines as well, make it a bit less, " Traditional."

Anyways, glad you got to try it.

By the way, the same two bottom section will also work with the TiCrX 7-weight, and either combo is pretty nice for overhead casting as well. I used the 7-weight excusively on a steelhead trip this winter and really enjoyed it. It is an awesome nymphing rig.

Jay Horton
    Advisory Staff
    TFO Fly Rods