Thank you/1st steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by dbk, Mar 2, 2003.

1. dbk

dbk Active Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Being a new fly fisherman, I rarely have posted on this forum, but I have learned a lot about fly fishing in the recent months from all of you who have been so willing to share your knowledge and experience. Being relatively new to this sport, I can attest to how much help it is to come here and learn from you, and I thank you for it.

Not having done a lot of steelhead fishing (only twice before today), the posts that have been made on this topic contributed today to my catching a my first steelhead on a fly rod (or any rod for that matter). It was the greatest thrill of my short fly fishing career, but I wanted everyone to know that the posts here really can help others to better enjoy this wonderful sport.

For anyone curious as to where I was fishing today, it was on the Tucannon river in SE Washington. It really is a beautiful stream and a wonderful place to fish. I would highly recommend fishing it, even if I had not caught a steelhead today. There seemed to be a fairly good number of fish in the river, and they all were for the most part in very good shape. There is access along Tucannon river road off HWY 12 and along 261 which goes through the little town of Starbuck.

Thanks again. It is a memory to last a lifetime.

2. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Congratulations! Welcome to the addiction!
  3. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Feb 26, 2003
    CONGRATS!! Fly fishing is one of things that will occupy your time for a lifetime! Its a wonderful thing and great way to step out of the hubub of everyday life!

A great little poem by John Voelker

"Testament of a Fisherman"
    I fish because I love to;
    Because I love the environs where are trout are found;
    Because Trout do not lie or cheat;
    But respond, only to endless patience;
    Because there are no telephones on trout waters;
    Because only in the woods can I find solitude w/out lonliness;
    Because maybe someday, I will catch a mermaid."

I saw that little poem in a Field and Stream magizine when I was like 13.....those word hit hard and read them frequently.

Again Congrats on the 1st - you are doing better than I am.
  4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Congrats on the first, welcome to the club you can never get kicked out of. It's a funny thing catching your first. I remember everything like the fly I was using, what I was wearing, the color of the water and what was growing in it. A picture out of life I will never forget. But damned if I can remember my anniversary. Again, comgrats.

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell
  5. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

May 21, 2004
    Home Page:
    Congratulations! There is NO comparison to the adrenalin you get from these Metalheaded Beasts.
    Its all downhill from there...the wallet that is, it was for me.

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19