Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The Beach

NFR 
3K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  jasmillo 
#1 ·
I'm down at Navarre Beach outside of Pensacola, Florida attending another family reunion. Many folks aren't familiar with Gulf beaches but IMO they are the prettiest warm water beaches in the lower 48. Check this place out:

Her first moment stepping on to a Gulf beach

There are very few people. It is like a Corona commercial

Hard to find sand dollars that aren't broken

Yesterday we had some storms roll through. Really cool watching 'em off in the distance

Found our rhythm by mid afternoon

Last night my uncles made a killer low country boil

Seen some necks catching bait fish off the pier.

Straight chillin'

See less See more
#12 ·
I used to really like the beaches around Fort Pickens, which is about a 5 minute drive to the west from where you took those shots. At that time, the road was washed out due to one of the hurricanes, and most folks won't walk more than 50 feet, so if you got down the beach a ways, you could have the whole place to yourself. I think the road has since been repaired, but I bet it's still real quiet down on that end.

Also if I recall correctly if you drive roughly 15 minutes east from the pier, there is a stretch of beach in the Gulf Islands National Seashore that tends to be more or less deserted, although it's really a beautiful spot. The character of the place is really different when you don't have the big condo towers around.

#28 ·
I have to agree with Mr. Clayton. Where's the flyrod? Nothing fancy, a couple of white clousers and a 7 or 8 weight and see what you dig up.

I go to HI annually and always bring one along. Actually a pretty exciting type of fishing. You never know what might take the fly. Generally it is something I have never caught before and cannot pronounce....

#31 ·
I wouldn't even consider going there without a fly rod. Might get into some redfish, likely could get into seatrout. Damn, I thought you were a "real" fly-fisher, Swim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.