Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Best fly box for Intruders and Articulated flies

7K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Dylan 
#1 · (Edited)
If you've ever tied or purchased Intruder style flies, it didn't take you long to figure out that they make a mess of themselves in most fly boxes. Compartment style boxes smash them and tangle the hooks and materials, while they flip and flop all over the interior of traditional boxes. Well, a friend of mine got sick of it and has found the most practical solution I've seen so far. These are made locally.
$34.99 ($5 shipping CONUS)
$69.98 for 2 (FREE SHIPPING ON TWO OR MORE BOXES)
Call the shop: 253-472-2420 for the quickest service, or PM me (slower)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Is this a one time only deal? I'm interested but tapped by the holidays.

#10 ·
Mine showed up today. Just fooling with it a little, I like it quite a bit. I'm generally a massive cheapskate and have been using cheapo Plano compartent boxes for sometime. The plano's are ok but things do get tangled and I've actually lost flies in the river before when the fly I'm pulling out catches another fly and it flops into the drink. This solves that problem. No more tangles and mangled flies. The box fits 20 flies which is more than enough for me.

#16 ·
I've been kicking the tires on the intruder style box for a few weeks now having bought it at PSFC from Anil. I've been really stoked on the box as its been a game-changer for me in reducing a huge mess for swing flies. Personally, the lack of a gasket is a non-issue for me as I dry all my gear out after each rain-poured trip. I also keep my boxes in a dry bag or waterproof pocket...but that's just me. These boxes solve a particular niche for me and i've been super happy so far. Looking forward to the other models yet forthcoming.

#17 ·
S
Stay tuned, on the way:
-2 more sizes (boat box and pocket size)
-tube boxes (in all three sizes)
-combo boxes (shanks on one size, tubes on the other)

I don't want to take credit for these, a friend of mine designs and builds them. I just make a few suggestions :)
Sign me up for pocket size. A waterproof gasket would b great for this size. Spool of leader and a waterproof pocket sized box in front wader pocket is all u need. Great design.

#18 ·
Pocket Box is 3-4 weeks away. Will not have gasket to keep price down. However, IMHO, you really should rinse/dry flies after each use. I am sure you will like it. Will post here when they are available. Current size is really great. I just put it inside the front of my waders, grab my scissor clamps and spool of tippet. Good to go!

#19 · (Edited)
Very cool boxes!

Gaskets are a double-edged sword. Though they will save flies from a soaking if you drop the box in the water, they also seal in moisture if you stick a soaked fly back in and forget to air dry it after your outing. I'm probably not the only one who has learned that expensive lesson.

#30 ·
Totally just curious here, but does adding a gasket really add that much to the cost? For all I know it would mean having to completely redesign the thing, I have zero knowledge on such things. On the surface it seems like it would be pennies added but I'm no manufacturer of any sort.

As a saltwater guy anything I can do to keep saltwater off of my flies is a good thing. Sure, I SHOULD rinse my flies after each trip but during Coho season when I'm on a 30 day straight fishing bender I generally don't want to mess with it unless the flies get soaked. For that reason I just carry a cheap tin with a few flies for the day. I'd rather risk a few flies than a whole box worth.

Not trying to bag on the product at all. I think it's a really cool idea. Just trying to provide a little different perspective. I for one would buy a few of these if they had a gasket, but I'm just not willing to shell out much money on something that would be as effective at keeping the salt out as the band aid tin I am currently using.

#31 ·
Totally just curious here, but does adding a gasket really add that much to the cost? For all I know it would mean having to completely redesign the thing, I have zero knowledge on such things. On the surface it seems like it would be pennies added but I'm no manufacturer of any sort.

As a saltwater guy anything I can do to keep saltwater off of my flies is a good thing. Sure, I SHOULD rinse my flies after each trip but during Coho season when I'm on a 30 day straight fishing bender I generally don't want to mess with it unless the flies get soaked. For that reason I just carry a cheap tin with a few flies for the day. I'd rather risk a few flies than a whole box worth.

Not trying to bag on the product at all. I think it's a really cool idea. Just trying to provide a little different perspective. I for one would buy a few of these if they had a gasket, but I'm just not willing to shell out much money on something that would be as effective at keeping the salt out as the band aid tin I am currently using.
I have a feeling that it's not quite as simple as "adding a gasket". Once you start looking at waterproof boxes, the cost for the box nearly triples and the dimensions of the boxes change and it makes it where they don't work as well for large flies. The Plan D boxes use the same box (flambeau precision) as the Cliff Bugger Barn and the dimensions work really well and can accommodate thick foam and beefy flies. I've looked pretty hard but never found a waterproof box that looks like it will accommodate foam + big ass flies and the waterproof boxes I have found are significantly more $.

#32 ·
Ya the reason I asked is cause I kinds figured there must be a lot more to it than simply buying a fifty cent gasket and slapping it on there. Like I said, just curious really as I know nothing about that kind of thing.

Boxes that are more on the waterproof side are definitely more expensive, however water tight is a feature I personally am willing to pay for. I bought a big waterproof box from Puget Sound Fly Fishers last year to use as my main Neah Bay salmon box for my boat. It wasn't cheap but for me personally if I'm not going to get a water tight box I'm just not willing to pay more than the few bucks for plain Plano plastic boxes.

I gather I'm in the minority on this, as I am on many things so no biggie. Just pointing out that as a customer that's where my preferences lie.

Sounds like these boxes are selling well. I really hope that continues and this becomes a highly successful business for the people/person selling them. I love seeing this sort of ingenuity and I hope all the hard work pays off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.