The Earth Is Bleeding...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, May 14, 2010.

1. Jerry White

Jerry White Active Member

Class D Felony to take photos... ?

2. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Potentially very disturbing. There were very good reasons the Founders created the Bill of Right. First among these was to limit the powers of the Government. This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

And does anyone know why Thad Allen was not in uniform? Any Coasties or other members of the armed forces know why?

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Split Bamboo: Washington D. C. is an interesting place. Check this chart out. Civilian Informal Attire is authorized for visits to or for Foreign or US officials (Mr. President). Also check the notes on the bottom left: Civilian Informal = Business Suit for Gentlemen Notes on bottom right: Washington D. C. specific attire = Business suit.

http://www.cwoauscg.org/docs/Military Uniform Equivalents.doc It is from April of 2003, but is still likely valid, in whole or in part, today.

As for why? Calls for speculation. I believe that it has more to do with allowing military members to blend better into the community rather than be wearing their uniforms and be much more visual. I also believe that some US and/or Foreign Officials prefer that a military presence be less obvious by requesting military members not wear their uniforms. Just my piece of speculation.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

BREAKING NEWS----THE OIL LEAK HAS BEEN STOPPED TODAY----JULY 15

Will it hold? Let's hope so......

5. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Doesn't this make twice now that BP said that they have "plugged it"? I read something about it in the headlines also.

6. Ed Call

What is today, day 84? 85? Maybe today is a day to be optimistic? Now if this holds I'd really like to see the follow up action plan.

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

I'm waiting for FU427BFD to say something
    about what a wonderful job BP did and what
    great enviromentalists they are.

8. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Of course...I mean with Big Brother and BP controlling what the media or citizens can report and see (blocking videos and photos), he will have nothing but positive articles to use for his points.

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

If I calculated this modestly, the estimate of the oil spilled for 85 days is easily 20 times that of the Exxon Valdez in Alaska. (which was almost 11 million gallons I believe) bawling:bawling:bawling:bawling:bawling:bawling:bawling:

The number I came up with is 214,200,000 gallons based on 60,000 barrels per day.

10. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Member

Home Page:
    Thad Allen is now retired from the Coast Guard and thus can't be in uniform. He volunteered to stay on in a civilian capacity until the oil is recovered.

11. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Member

Home Page:
    I only wish the news media would be as protective of the 2nd Amendment as they are of the 1st. It's not a buffet where you can pick and choose what you believe in. Without the 2nd, the 1st would soon be lost.

There has to be some limits on the media. They can't be allowed to run into burning buildings or to get in the way of firefighters for example.

Many members of the media have behaved like absolute idiots by getting in the way of cleanup operations, and even dumping sludge on clean beaches to make their own news stories. The restriction was to keep back 65 feet, which is certainly not an issue with a telephoto lens. This has since been eased for members of the news media that don't have a history of using "throw down birds", etc. to get a story.

By the way, if you would like to view the true extent of the oil spill as of 7-15-10, it's shown in purple...

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/AvianQuest/Data/Extent7-15-10.jpg

12. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

The press is only protective of one part of the First Amendment! Good info thanks AvianQuest.

13. FE427TP

FE427TP The Great Sage

Politics put aside, thank God they finally got it stopped!

14. Ed Call

Now they need to cement that thing shut solid and not mess around and break off something else. I wonder how long the clean up effort will take before they call it "good".

15. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

http://www.ifitwasmyhome.com/

Found that link from an NPR story a few days back, if you enter your location it shows you how big the spill is in comparison to your region.