The Earth Is Bleeding...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, May 14, 2010.

1. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

"Vital warning systems on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig were switched off at the time of the explosion in order to spare workers being woken by false alarms, a federal investigation has heard.

The evidence of deliberate dilution of the rig's safety mechanisms is likely to have wide ramifications for BP and Transocean, the world's largest offshore drilling company. It switches the spotlight of blame away from BP and towards the subcontractor which took the decisions."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/23/deepwater-horizon-oil-rig-alarms

More and more facts will come to light as time passes. Lets hope if any negligence and 'dereliction of duties' exists, those responsible will be held accountable.

2. salmonslug

salmonslug Streamside in the Gorge

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to buy her a beer, just not while cutting class at booming school.

4. FE427TP

FE427TP The Great Sage

On a brighter note.... and no, it's not Fox news saying this. No oil on Florida's beaches, no oil on Alabama's beaches, the oil in Lake Pontchartrain appears gone... the Lake Pontechartrain Basin Foundation says it'll take 3 years to even see if there will be any significant ecological impact, no oil is showing up in the loop current. While still bad the sky has not fallen like some predicted.
    http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-crude-mother-nature-breaks-slick/story?id=11254252

The Text:

For 86 days, oil spewed into the Gulf of Mexico from BP's damaged well, dumping some 200 million gallons of crude into sensitive ecosystems. BP and the federal government have amassed an army to clean the oil up, but there's one problem -- they're having trouble finding it.

At its peak last month, the oil slick was the size of Kansas, but it has been rapidly shrinking, now down to the size of New Hampshire.

Today, ABC News surveyed a marsh area and found none, and even on a flight out to the rig site Sunday with the Coast Guard, there was no oil to be seen.
    "That oil is somewhere. It didn't just disappear," said Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser.

Salvador Cepriano is one of the men searching for crude. Cepriano, a shrimper, has been laying out boom with his boat, but he's found that there's no oil to catch.

"I think it is underneath the water. It's in between the bottom and the top of the water," Cepriano said.

Even the federal government admits that locating the oil has become a problem.

"It is becoming a very elusive bunch of oil for us to find," said National Incident Cmdr. Thad Allen.

Skimmers Pick Up Less Oil

The numbers don't lie: two weeks ago, skimmers picked up about 25,000 barrels of oily water. Last Thursday, they gathered just 200 barrels.

Still, it doesn't mean that all the oil that gushed for weeks is gone. Thousands of small oil patches remain below the surface, but experts say an astonishing amount has disappeared, reabsorbed into the environment.

"[It's] mother nature doing her job," said Ed Overton, a professor of environmental studies at Louisiana State University.

The light crude began to deteriorate the moment it escaped at high pressure, and then it was zapped with dispersants to speed the process along. The oil that did make it to the ocean's surface was broken up by 88-degree water, baked by 100-degree sun, eaten by microbes, and whipped apart by wind and waves.

Experts stress that even though there's less and less oil as time goes on, there's still plenty around the spill site. And in the long term, no one knows what the impact of those hundreds of millions of gallons will be, deep in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

E.T.A. now with video http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/gulf-oil-happening-water-disapearing-shrinking-slick-bp-spill-11201050

5. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

200 million gallons of crude that they can't find it, I guess
    that means ......
    !) it never happened
    2) the head of BP sucked it up with a straw
    3) microbes ate 200 million gallons of crude (time for a diet you chubby microbes!)
    4) jimmy swaggert was involved

Dave

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

They did gather the local residents, fishing guides, beach lovers and even government officials for routine prayers. Maybe someone was listening.

7. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At least he's looking in the right place for the oil.

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

"The light crude began to deteriorate the moment it escaped at high pressure, and then it was zapped with dispersants to speed the process along. The oil that did make it to the ocean's surface was broken up by 88-degree water, baked by 100-degree sun, eaten by microbes, and whipped apart by wind and waves."

And the GOP said, "Let us pray. Let there be clean air, no water pollution, and no global warming... and it was so"....

9. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

personally i'd like to forcefeed the contents of fu427's crankcase into fu and watch him disperse it.........and deteriorate........

10. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

I know I have commented on this thread about the problems with rushing to judgment, as mistakes can be made....

So guess who will be paying for half of the $20 Billion BP put into the escrow account to pay for damages? You and me! BP will write off the expense, and receive a $9.9 billion dollar tax credit. Hopefully Obama didn't sign some type of release with them after the agreement was made.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bp-taking-10-billion-tax-credit-from-spill-2010-07-27?siteid=yhoof

:beathead:

11. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

I don't get this comment. What does the GOP have to do with this? It was the "present administration" that allowed the dispersants to be used.

12. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Well....here's a sample or two of how the GOP prays for "change".... Don't get me wrong, prayer works for some people for some things ...

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2009/12/gop-senators-pray-for-failure-of-health.html

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/praying-away-bp-oil-spill

http://www.mediaite.com/online/sara...-divine-intervention-and-miracle-in-the-gulf/

13. shastaski

shastaski Steve Sullivan

Well we know that oil floats, so obviously unless 4) somehow came up with a magic compound that made it sink
    to the bottom, the answer must be 1).

14. salmonslug

salmonslug Streamside in the Gorge

Not sure why I only heard about Hugh Kaufman a few days ago, but the interview with this senior policy analyst for the EPA might blow your mind (or, then again, maybe not...). He seems very credible to me, and his perspective on the spill might leave you quite disappointed and frustrated about our response, to say the least. He began working for the EPA back in 1970 at the time of its inception, initially as an engineer. I'd be curious to hear some of your thoughts, if you can spare the time to watch.

Yep, sorry, I haven't forgot about the incident quite yet. I know I should be more focused on the mosque project near ground zero, or Glenn Beck's MLK Day rally, etc. And, I realize we shouldn't talk openly about potential health risks associated with eating oil/corexit laced fish, because people might not want to buy it, and then how will the gulf coast residents ever recover, so... I'll refrain from going there...

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/20/epa_whistleblower_accuses_agency_of_covering

15. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

My two cents on this article...ok, maybe a quarter....

There maybe ever reason in the world to fear the use Corexit and other dispersant, and there maybe a massive cover-up going on, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. Some of the claims made by Hugh Kaufman were pretty weak, at least as he laid them out in this article. Also his over use of material fallacies while making his points give him very little credibility in my book.

Some of his claims:

"when the ingredients are mixed with oil, the combination of Corexit or any dispersant and oil is more toxic than the oil itself."

As I understand it, Dawn dish soap is a dispersant. Commonly used to treat oil covered birds, as well as my oily dishes. So is it really true than any dispersant when mixed with oil because more toxic? I am not sure, but now I have an excuse not to do the dishes. I am sure that the dispersants used are more toxic than Ivory soap, but he fails to convince me of his argument. (Not saying he is wrong, just if you make a claim that people and wildlife are hemorrhaging from exposure he should have some facts.)

"People who work near it are hemorrhaging internally. And that’s what dispersants are supposed to do."

Really? I can't find any claim that dispersants are known to cause hemorrhaging.

"Who saves money by using these toxic dispersants? Well, it’s BP. But then the next question—I’ve only seen one article that describes it—who owns BP? And I think when you look and see who owns BP, you find that it’s the majority ownership, a billion shares, is a company called BlackRock that was created, owned and run by a gentleman named Larry Fink. And Vanity Fair just did recently an article about Mr. Fink and his connections with Mr. Geithner, Mr. Summers and others in the administration."

Hah, this really caused me to lose all credibility. I know a little bit about BlackRock and something about how the markets work...Mr. Kaufman clearly does not. BlackRock was started by Mr. Fink, and he is currently the CEO. The is very rich, but only owns about 2% of the company. Heck China owns more...

Look it up:http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=BLK+Major+Holders

Oh yeah, and BlackRock doesn't actually own anywhere near a majority ownership stake (more than 50%) in BP. In fact BlackRock owns less than 0.22% (that's a lot less than a majority)

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=BP+Major+Holders

You will notice that the Evil Conservative (sarcasm here folks) Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is one of the largest shareholders.

The largest shareholder, State Street (a big investment company) owns a little more than 1%, 35 million shares. (that's a lot less than 1 billion)

So maybe we have something to fear, not saying we don't, but I sure would not trust anything Mr Kaufman. He might be correct about some of his claims, but he sure is wrong about a lot of them! Remember a broken clock is right twice a day! (to the younger crowd...clocks used to have arms that moved, not digital numbers...the idiom used to be more germane.)

OK, attack me...

Andrew