The Earth Is Bleeding...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, May 14, 2010.

1. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

As always Kent, you offer sound and calm advice. You're absolutely right on this one.

2. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Kent, 100% on target !!

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Damnit Kent, you're no fun at all :thumb:

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Like I said It's still gushing

5. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Here's way to clean it up, which if valid, seems like a no brainer. Still gotta cap the gusher though.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Huh, that vid looks almost exactly like the one I posted back on the second page. Nobody cares about cleaning up. They all want to bitch about what happened.

7. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Out on the west coast of Vancouver Island, I remember there being stashes of hay bales along the West Coast Trail specifically for this use should a spill occur in a remote area.

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Hey Kent, those "chicken little" bums Harry S. Dent, Richard Russell, and Robert Prechter all are saying that you should go to cash ASAP before the next big leg down. This summer is going to be one hell of a rocky road for the markets. If there ever was a May "to go away in," this is it!. There is a convergence of several negatory forces and "down cycles" happening, and we are teetering on the brink of World Depression.
    I don't believe a word any politicians or talking heads say. They all lie every time they move their lips while they're kicking the can down the road. Recovery.... reschmuvery!
    Things don't look good at all to me, either. Just sayin....
    But don't worry, the markets should start to recover as soon as Nov 2012, or maybe Fall 2014.
    I'm not kidding, but I really hope I'm wrong.
    You might want to hold onto any high divvy Gas & Oil Pipeline Limited Partnerships, though, since you can count on American drivers to keep driving and also people with gas appliances will have to keep buying nat'l gas and propane. Hank Hill would agree with me.(" E-yup!") Those are "buy and hold" type of stocks, anyway. (full disclosure: I don't own any at this point in time).

9. FE427TP

FE427TP The Great Sage

THAT'S more of the type of innovation we need to see in this. The shrimpers would jump all over the opportunity to help just for the cost of fuel and repairs to their equipment with a lot probably volunteering their time because it means the protection of their work. This would greatly cut down on cleanup costs allowing a more thorough cleanup for the money. Sadly though my fear is that as long as the White House has people in charge that this is going to being used for all it is worth to nationalize another industry.

I'd think they should try to pool it together well offshore and burn it there instead of dragging more crude oil on shore :beathead:

Another problem is while there is a slick on the surface there are also layers of oil at various levels under the surface and it looks like as I had guessed in an earlier post the bacteria and such being used to disperse the oil underwater had a bad side effect and are also consuming oxygen in the water... What a clusterf&%* :(

10. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Yikes! Another 'sky is falling' doomsday prediction! Well Jimbo, you ain't got a thing on Jim Kunstler at ClusterfuckNation. Check out this rant: http://kunstler.com/blog/2010/05/something-happened.html Before you get too exercised about the coming bear, consider that the entire GDP of Greece is a little smaller than that of Dallas-Ft. Worth. My fearless prediction: we'll all still be making money in equities this fall!

But . . . except for small positions in AAPL, CSTR and NFLX (and each with a regularly-updated stop loss buy), I'm about 65% cash right now!

K

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I find it interesting that BP is "tryng to stop the leak" by inserting another 6" pipe into the 21" pipe. Now if that leads to "plugging" the leak -- great. On the other hand, they are actually harvesting the oil and trying to not let all of it go to waste..... Sounds like their trying to make a little money during this operation of repair? O K ... hmmmmmmmmmm Plug the Son of a Bitch!!!

And FE427TP, I was wondering if you love listening to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glen Beck?

12. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Must we go down this road.......?

13. dryflylarry

Sorry, I'm just tired of the conservative rants regarding environmental concerns about this planet. We can forget I mentioned it.

14. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Kent- I think you're deduction is a bit off. I'm not responsible for a company making mistakes and cutting corners, especially when the profits are up. There's simply no reason to half ass anything, especially when I , the end consumer, is willing ( like I have a choice?) to pay the difference.

15. dryflylarry

I've seen a number of estimates on how much oil is leaking per day. I believe the LOW end is 5,000 barrels a day (210,000 gallons). I saw another estimate of up to 100,000 barrels a day. Of course BP likes the 5,000 number... I don't claim to be an expert, however, I understand irrigation design relative to pipe size and pressures. I think I will go with the 100,000 barrels per day figure, which is 4.2 million gallons per day. The pipe size that is leaking is something like 21" in diameter. An 8" pipe can deliver water (a little different, however) up to 2800 gallons per minute under high pressure. I say that the leak is easily pumping that much oil. (Remember, I'm talking about an 8" pipe, not a 21") The bigger pipe you have, the more volume you can pump, based of course, on pressures down there. Looking at the video of the pipe gushing, I would say there is a hell of a lot of pressure. You know damn well that the BP engineers know how much it is pumping. They know what the pressures are, etc. So I say 100,000 barrels a day is LOW! -----------Plug that Baby! Plug that Baby! What a disaster ...