NFR The easiest BIG decision I will ever make.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Haha, I think I'm safe from that.:cool:

2. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
    My wife and I met in 1974 and married in 1975 using cheap rings bought from Jafco; the "Costco" of its day. She got better ones but I still wear mine. When new they had engraved designs. Mine is now plain gold. Not only do I not take it off... it won't come off. I'd have to cut either the finger or the ring.

in 2003 my wife and I stood outside the door to her parents house. The same door that I knocked on in 1974 to ask if the person who owned the dirt-bike in the driveway wanted to go explore some trails with me (it was her). We were waiting for our daughter to come out and walk with us down the aisle in the garden to meet her fiance on her wedding day.

You can never tell what will happen when you knock on a door.We have explored many trails together and it's been an adventure all the way.

Congratulations... stay true and be kind to each other.

Craig

Codioos and Andrew Lawrence like this.
  3. TexBC

TexBC Fly Addict

Great news, congratulations to you and your lucky bride-to-be! Your idea for a proposal sounds terrific - as long as she is ok with public surprises. I know, I know.. it's not public, it's your family... but just be aware.

I got engaged a while back and made sure it was very private, as my girl is a fairly private person about these sorts of things. It was a good decision - I don't think it would've gone as smoothly if I had've proposed in front of a group of people! lol

We finally got married last summer and it was easily one of the best days of my life. I hope your engagement and wedding will be equally memorable.

[​IMG]

4. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

TexBC, thats funny you say that.... I almost asked my wife at a Winterhawks game!! She loves hockey, and was the one with the season tickets, so its not like all the bad ones you see at the basketball games.
    I decided not to at the last minute... Did it as we woke up one morning....

5. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

There is nothing to compare the love of a beautiful woman to bring out the best in every man. I know my wife does. Congratulations and I hope all goes well

6. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

A wife is like fishing, it all smells the same and gets better each day. Congrads to manning up and taking the dive, contrary to what you might believe your life is just starting. Here's to good health and happiness for many years.

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Congratulations! And good to see the younger generation still values the tradition of asking dad's blessing first! Her Ladyship and I send our very best wishes.

Be Jofus G and David Dalan like this.
  8. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I did write all kinds of advice, but I deleted it. You'll hear enough of it anyway...from people you actually know!

Congrats on asking for her hand. I didn't and I wish I had. We're still rocking after 16 years, and I wish you all the same joys, challenges and wonder that we've had so far. Best decision I ever made.

Good luck, and congratulations!!

9. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Good luck! Her dad sounds awesome for helping out. Thanks for sharing.

10. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Awesome man! Congrats. 12 years here. Once you get Gear Laundering and the fly fishing "weight loss" program nailed down, It's all smooth sailing.

11. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Well, Ol krusty's got almost 50 years of marriage to a saint of a woman. Hope ya got a good one, son. It makes all the difference. Have a wonderful life together!

12. TexBC

TexBC Fly Addict

Agreed - my wife's father had passed away before I had the chance to ask him, so instead I asked her brother if he would give me his blessing on behalf of their family. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "Of course - did you really think you needed to ask?!?" lol

We still laugh about it more than a couple years later. :)

Alex MacDonald and Codioos like this.
  13. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Best wishes to you on your engagement. If you have done this right, marriage will probably be the most fun you could ever have. We are in our 46th year and it has never been better. I could spend 100 years with Susie and at the end beg for just an hour more.

Unlike you however we eloped and notified the family later. I didn't even meet my in-laws for three years! My father-in-law was a smoker and I told him he could come but would never be allowed to smoke in my house. That pissed him off and he said I was unhospitable. I said that was fine by me because I had heard that in-laws were nothing but trouble anyway. Eventually he came and smoked in his car but was a really great guy. We liked each other and got along great, he thought I had done well by his daughter.

The greatest gift you can give your wife is to take care of yourself. Try to reach old age in good health, mentally alert, active and most important of all-happy. You have a lifetime to prepare so start early and get there in style.

Enjoy it all.

Ive

Upton O and wadin' boot like this.
  14. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Very wise words!

15. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

This is all great, guys. Thank you for the inspirational words and well recieved insight.

I know this is just the start of an adventure that I have never been on before. As each day approaches I feel more and more right about it. In fact, since I made up my mind to ask her I have felt even more close to her and I have to calm myself from exploding it out and ruining the whole thing. I can keep a good secret, but holy smokes this is tough. And thats not including hiding it from my immediate family.

I keep getting asked if I'm nervous. I'm not. Well not yet anyways. What I feel is more-over a calming sensation that makes me feel at ease. I always thought I'd be a nervous wreck when this moment came. All gittery and stuff, but I feel so collected. It's a very reassuring feeling; but I shouldn't be that supprised because she is an amazing woman that keeps me calm. That and shes smokin' hot.

But don't let me fool you. I'm probably gonna loose it when the time comes. Thank God there will be whiskey there. It's medicinal you know.

Crap, just writing this made me nervous.