The first fly you ever tied?

Mine was a Montana, probably alot better than I could achieve today!

Can you remember your first attempt and what was it?

:)

i cant remember what i did yesterday let alone 27 years ago when i started tying flies. :rofl:

i'll venture a guess and say it probably was a hares ear or a pheasant tail :confused:

Mr.E

He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron
My first fly was a salt water rooster tail. I was 8 yrs old fishing tuna with my uncle. I didn't even know what Fly Fishing was back then. I can still remember the colors. Red, Yellow and white feathers noting fancy just the three feathers tied behind the eye of the hook.

i am surprised no one asked about a sandflynymph from post #3. to be honest i cant remember what it is but it caught fish in more than one lake. this was the pre-wooly bugger era. however wooly worms did exist. mike w

Mr.E

He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron
i am surprised no one asked about a sandflynymph from post #3. to be honest i cant remember what it is but it caught fish in more than one lake. this was the pre-wooly bugger era. however wooly worms did exist. mike w
I'll bite, how does a sandflynymph look like? Would you have a pic of it?

sorry, mr e. i can not remember what one looks like. i think they have gone the same way as a queen of the waters and a brown hackle peacock. they were a few of the flies we had in the 40s and 50s. others were a mosquito, a renegade, and a king of the waters, and a grey hackle peacock. mike w

cutthroatking

screw work lets fish
Black wooly bugger.Fished them on coffee pot lake with my dad who I hadn't taked to in years.We caught 30 some coffee pot brusiers and we havent stoped fishing together yet(30-40 weekends a year).I also fish alot of brown and gray hackle peacocks,they are my goto searching patterns.

john

At the U of O in Eugene OR. in the fall of 1947. I was on the GI Bill and couldn't afford to buy flies at $.25 cent each so I got an old small anvil vise, a few hooks and put together without any real knowledge (you couldn't call it 'tying') some hair and feathers from road kill and threads out of the carpet and went fishing on the McKenzie. Believe it or not they worked. Pretty?? Of course not. I've been tying ever since but I still think those flies were some of my best. Certainly they are part of my best memories.