Swap The "I Keep 'Em All" Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mike Etgen, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Mike, it was my pleasure to make a donation. You must have "someone who has as actually done some fishing" mistaken with me, but let's hand that box over on some water somewhere. Most of those flies were flies tied in swaps. There were a couple that were actually bonus flies given to my by others...and not to disrespect them, if you ever post photos I'll give full on credit to those tyers. I thought they just flowed well together from a foam perspective. I do hope the auction yeilds benefits for those in need. Is there anything else you need, holes in the collections or such? I look forward to chatting with you soon if we can get our schedules aligned.

2. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Ned...

Good question, and one I should have addressed earlier. The event is the 16th of October, so I'd like to have them in hand by the 9th if at all possible. Definitely looking forward to your flies, should be perfect for what we're doing.

Mumbles...

Sounds good. I seem to be getting more dull by the day...sort of makes me think about that old expression about "all work and no play..." Can't remember the rest of it. By the way - you've been plenty generous. So far, the trout flies are outrunning the salt flies by quite a lot, but stay tuned. If I did my calculating correctly and everyone comes through, I should be in good shape. I'll keep your offer in mind, though.

Update: I received Warren Perry's flies today, all the way from Basra. Two stimulators and two Clousers. Thanks, Warren...and good to know you'll soon be wrapping up and coming home.

Currently Received:

Mumbles
    Ron Eagle Elk
    Warren Perry

3. Ed Call

Mr. Curiously Insubordinate, please check out this swap link and photos...
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=18555

I have a full set of these flies. A member signed up for the face to face but never showed up and never checked back in. I've had them in a baggie for him since the face to face meeting. If you think you have a niche for them, they are yours my friend. Whenever we meet I can hand them over or I can drop them in the mail. I belive that each fly submitted in this swap was tagged or at least identified by me when I took the photos.

Note for those who give two rips, my friend Matt Smith, who has not been seen around here in a while, contributed a few flies that he touted as "money flies". Throw the BS flag if you will, but I have fished his files and others I've tied replicating his flies and they flat out catch lots and large fish!

Let me know Mike. I'll fish these, or hand them over to you to do some good for others.

4. Big E

Big E Active Member

Mine go out tomorrow.

5. Mike Etgen

Mumbles -

Very nice selection pictured. Tell you what - I'll keep those as a "back pocket option" if we fall short anywhere. I've just received Kerfwappie's flies, and it really beefs up the salt selection.

Kerfwappie - Got your package today, and these are just some outstanding flies!

To update our list - received so far:

Mumbles
    Ron Eagle Elk
    Warren Perry
    Kerfwappie

Guys, I gotta tell you, what you've sent in so far is vastly superior in variety and quality to anything I could have thrown together. The most difficult challenge, considering the level of generosity, will be making the final selections. I may have to find a way to include them all, and no matter how it works out, some lucky bidders are going to get some sweet flies. I'm grateful and humbled. :thumb:

6. koolminx

koolminx Member

I can't wait to bid on these puppies! :D :D

7. Ed Call

You got it Mike, I'll be standing by. So Kerfwappie tossed in some of his super high quality baitfish...that guy ties some ridiculously great stuff.

8. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Thanks Ed. I hope you sent in one of your killer tube worms. Those are the product of thoughtful creativity. BTW you got any pics of Matt's money flies?

9. Big E

Big E Active Member

Yes....we must have pikures of the flies sent in.

[​IMG]

10. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

when do you need these?

11. Ed Call

Kerfwappie, I neglected to send Mike any of the sessile tube worms. Thanks for your plug on them, if I can remember I'll find a way to get one or two to Mike. I tied up twice as many flies as we had swappers so I've got extras.

Big E, I'll dredge up some pickturs fer ye...stand by...or at least a link.
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=18555
    This is the full set of extras that I've had since our face to face. Kerfwappie, note the two chironomids submitted by Matt Smith. He's a friend, and I trust him when he says magic. I tested his flies and indeed had trout after trout to hand.
    I've not passed this set on to Mike yet, but if he says he would like it they are his (all that were tagged still remain tagged and there were some great participants in this swap)

The attached photos are of some cougar minnows and muddler minnows I've tied up. The foamies are mostly from the Yakima Terrestrial swap I got a few duplicates and I included those quality bugs in the fly box for Mike. Only the big ol' chernobyl type and the two similar green and brown hoppers were from my bench. I'm trying to establish which of the extras was tied by whom to give those guys credit, this swap's flies were all killer. No sense in me hoarding them when we can pass them along for a good cause, right? Enjoy.

12. Mike Etgen

Kelvin...got your PM and responded with address. Need the flies by October 9th.

All - will try to get some pictures out this weekend of you need a look at the individual contributions in current boxes, or can wait a bit until it's all sorted out and then provide pics of the packages, with individual shots as needed.

Ben Waldschmidt will be sending me, along with his spey flies, three Morrell flyboxes that we'll get at a discount, and in which we'll package the fly offerings.

In the meantime, trust me, there are some sweet flies already in hand.

Off to work.

13. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

So - starting with the Speys - if Ben Waldschmidt and Daconil can each do 3, can I get six more? If so, then all we need to do is be sure we have a nice mix of different flies.

I will send you 3 Loch Dhu Salmon Spey flies

14. Mike Etgen

Quick Update...

Flies received from Big_E today - more winners for sure.

Kelvin...

I haven't heard from Daconcil lately but believe he was aiming for at least three Spey flies, while Ben has communicated often and I believe is working on about six. Kerfwappie has already delivered a pair. Your three will definitely put us over a dozen.

15. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

great I am tying will send pic when done