"The Last Cast"

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Spent a beautiful day on the water here with two nice men, fishing here and there. We caught a few nice salty Cutthroat, got the fly chased by a few Salmon. We saw fish and bait most stops along the beaches. After they left I had a few hours to myself at the end of the day and the top of the tide. Just swinging my Red Herring fly and watching the day end quietly. Fish feeding, jumping, always too far to reach. A few elusive cruising boilers nearby. Chatting with a friend on his evening walk. Sloppy casting, distracted. I am not catching anything. barely anyone is tonight. I have been up since 4:30 a.m. It is almost sunset. I am done. "This is my last cast Fred", and it was. I put the line on the spool and began reeling it all in. Smack!! Nice! Big-Robust-Fat-Bright- Pink Salmon!... about five pounds- taking the fly HARD right there at my feet in the wash. A bit of a brawl. Landed him quick and let him go easy. "Last Cast"...nice way to end the day. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing Bob. Those 'last cast' days are rare indeed when you can end it with a fish. I can only remember it happening to me once or twice. Makes you wonder what kind of karmic fish mojo was happening at the time! Great story.

Randy Lindahl

Paintin' or Fishin'
Thanks Bob...Your story put me right out there...from here in my little cubical. It's always great to go out and a special treat to be able to release one.
Randy

Hey Bob! Ahhhh... the magic of the "reel-in". I have caught so many fish on the reel-in after otherwise poor fishing that I'm convinced there's something to the whole thing. It's now a running joke between my buddy and I to see what happens on the infamous reel-in. Could it be something about the constant speed of retrieve? Maybe vibrations of the reel clicker transferred down the line? I don't know for sure, but I am most definitely a believer to the point that sometimes I try it just to try to make something happen!:clown:

Anyone else?

G

golfman65

Hey Bob! Ahhhh... the magic of the "reel-in". I have caught so many fish on the reel-in after otherwise poor fishing that I'm convinced there's something to the whole thing. It's now a running joke between my buddy and I to see what happens on the infamous reel-in. Could it be something about the constant speed of retrieve? Maybe vibrations of the reel clicker transferred down the line? I don't know for sure, but I am most definitely a believer to the point that sometimes I try it just to try to make something happen!:clown:

Anyone else?
Wonder this myself..as the same has happened to me...

One bad thing about a "Last Cast" day after catching a fish is I tend to now say.."last cast" and then "Ok, one more" which turns into ten and then another half hour...:rofl: