The New Fishing Lodge at Christmas Island

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Stan Wright, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

Chadk,
    I believe those are Manta Shrimp. Delicious, but I'm told they can bite a chunk out of you if not careful.

Stan,
    Nice report. I went a couple times 5-6 years ago and stayed at the old place, too. My experiences of the old lodge are similiar to CircleSpey's and the bonefishing/GT as well. My high point was the offshore fishing--although not redhot, we did hook up with some big yellowfins, but the highpoint was an 80lb wahoo that made the whole trip for me. It sounds like the new lodge is much better than the old one. I'd like to go back again sometime so a comparison of accomodations (assuming you stayed at the old one) would be much appreciated.
    Again, thanks for the report.

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Looks like an awesome time. I always wanted to go to Christmas Island.

3. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Stan, I believe the no kill rules have been in place for some time. My understanding that much of the decline of the fishing population is the rapid population growth on the island. As you may know, it's a long boat ride from Tarawa to Christmas Island, and food supplies are not consistent in arrival. The natives have to eat something, and the fish are readily available . . . you can't really blame 'em.

Christmas Island is a great place for a first time bonefish trip, and has very good Giant and other trevally fishing. The average bonefish isn't huge, but there are many popular areas in the Bahamas and Ascension Bay where the average bonefish is the same size or smaller. Relatively crude accommodations, but very liveable (at least for a week, to me!). I love the friendly people on Christmas Island . . .

4. Stan Wright

Stan Wright Active Member

Home Page:
    Aloha,

In my 11 years as a TV fisherman and over 20 years of radio, and writing (OWAA) I was invited on some wonderful fishing trips. I got a free trip, a TV and radio show, and an story. The fishing lodge got publicity. Now days I pay my own way. No free trips. I don't owe anything to anyone. If I don't like a place I don't go back. If someone ask what I think of a place, I can give them an unbias opinion. If I want to know about a fishing lodge I talk to someone who has been there and the first question I ask is: "Would you visit there again?"

I first visited Christmas Isl. in 1980 when I hosted the Let's Go Fishing TV show. There were only about 600 people on the island and they never saw a rod and reel before we got there, much less a fly rod. The fishing was fantastic. The Hawaii guys started visiting every week... with their 86 Qt. coolers. Needless to say the fishing went down hill to a point where in 4 or 5 years no one went fishing there. Then in the late '80s the government decided if tourism had a chance... it must switch to fly fishermen. Catch the fish, take the picture, and release the fish. It worked. Frontier brought in mainland guides to train the local guides in the art of "care and feeding the fly fisherman". LOL

In over 25 years and 14 trips I saw the rise and fall of several "hotels" there. I two figured I would never go there again. Because of the lack of fish and the decline in accommodations. Then in 2005 some of my friends twisted my arm. We had a great trip. They went again in June 2006 and the report on the new hotel was so good that I went again in Nov. '06. My next trip is in June 2007.
    (being retired has it's advantages) <grin>

I'll leave the 80 pound GT to the younger anglers. If you want to stand in waste deep water and catch a few 10 pound bone fish... have a ball. (been there done that)... Give me shallow water, a light fly rod, and let me play all day with the little 1 to 2 pound lei, papio, and oio.

If you've never been bonefishing, Christmas Island is a great place to start. (Learn) If your going back, no matter who you book your trip with, ask about the Villages Hotel. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Maybe I'll see you there. LOL

Stan

5. Stan Wright

Stan Wright Active Member

Home Page:
    Aloha,

Now that I am retired and closed the photo studio.... I love traveling and taking pictures that I like to take... (fish) this is not a commercial... Some of the stuff I use to do. LOL www.stanwright.com

As for my photography..... BS in Photography from Texas A&M.:ray1:
    Yes, I'm always on the look out for a good Aggie Joke.
    So if you guys want some great fishing pictures of yourself.... Just invite me fishing. <grin>:rolleyes:

Are we having fun yet, or what?
    Stan

6. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    if you ever make to the mainland and hit our area, you're welcome in my boat anytime!