The Old Man finally caught his first steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by pwoens, Feb 9, 2004.

1. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    We left for the Ronde early saturday morning (3:30). Went down the shumaker grade figuring it would be less travelled due to the snow and terrible morning conditions...maybe 5 other cars, besides the shuttle rigs. Fished "Ray's Hole" for a few hours with a couple misses...the old man had a fish on for about 5 seconds, other than that it was slow. At 10:00 we decided to move down river. The old man, my dad, not Jim, started to reel in and noticed the tip was broken on his rod. I just sold my backup 8wt so all I had for a backup was my 5 wt orvis packed in the truck. He threw his 8wt reel with 9wt line on the 5wt rod and proceeded to string it up. The next hole we fished for about 20 minutes before the the old man yelled out "fish on". Now after 3 years of never in his life catching a steelhead, I come to expect that it is probably just another bottom fish. LOL Needless to say I saw the fish flash on the way in and about passed out from complete shock. It was a steelhead. Now here's a picture for you: an Orvis Trident TL 9ft 5wt with a 6 pound Reddington RS2 boat anchor reel, loaded with 9wt line, and a drag not even close to being set correctly. Well, he played it like a pro with a broken reel and less than adequate rod....I thought for sure the rod was going to snap at the handle it was flexed so badly. He palmed the reel and worked the fish quick. Brought it in and released it in a short amount of time. It was a 5-6 pound native fish and made for an excellent first fish ever!! :thumb

At this point I knew I would never hear the end of it if I didnt step up the game and catch a steelhead. I had no choice!! So, 4 bottom fish and half an hour later, I landed a bigger hatchery brat and bonked it on the head for the smoker. Talk about stealing the glory...LOL It was a good day on the Ronde!! My buddy caught two, one keeper, and one native. Dads was still somewhat bright, and mine was somewhat dark?? River was in good shape flowing at about 1900 and the sun was out all day. Left at about 2:30.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dc/user_files/1119.gif

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dc/user_files/1120.gif

edit: caught em all on a new black bunny string leech I created with orange bead heads...those flies have so much action...but take forever to tie??

~Patrick ><>

2. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    Now that will be a day never to forget!

Nice story and pictures.

Congratulations and thanks.

LB

3. speycast

speycast Guest

Awesome bro! Cheers to you and your old man! :beer2

speycast

4. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Congrats !! nothing hooking into Steele !
    Steve

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Nice fish for the both of . But could you please change your old man's name to pops or something. People will start to think that I really fish with other people and then get the wrong impression(sp) of me. Besides I had the name first. And I really am an a old man.

Jim

6. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    bla bla bla bla...in one ear and out the other :p :p :p :p }( }( }( }(

edit: besides I already made the disclaimer in my first few sentences above.

~Patrick ><>

7. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Home Page:
    I'll bet the backup setup that your dad used casted like a dream.

8. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    you should have seen that rod...it was money..LOL It got worked so hard...I have to give props to Orvis rods!!

~Patrick ><>

9. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

New River Mike

Great story, well told! I'm happy as all get out for both of you! Good pictures, too.
    Where's "Ray's Hole" in relation to Boggans there at the bridge?
    What was the weather like over there yesterday?
    Again, contrats...

:thumb

10. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

"I panhandle for flies" - Joe Trowtbum.

did you use that glo pattern?}:)P :+

11. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    Ray's hole is down schumaker grade, prior to boggans. You have to take a left at the top of the grade to get to schumaker. Its basically the first hole at the bottom of the grade. Good fly water :thumb

Weather was perfect!! The river dropped into shape and even cleared up a bit in color. Couldnt have asked for better conditions. Temp was in mid 30's

~Patrick ><>

12. clockwork

clockwork New Member

right on, glad someone was getting some action. i was down there with you that morning. we got there at about 7am. i was amazed that there were so few people down there. when we got there there was only one other truck down there. i fished some homemade patterns and had one take but it never materialized. that was it. maybe you saw us, i was driving a red 69 international pickup. were you guys in a three man party? (2 flyfishers and a gear guy?) by the looks of those photos i think i saw you guys just upriver from me for a few minutes. the water was higher than ive seen it before and was difficult to wade and i couldn't cross like i wanted to to my favorite spots. i kind of got the feeling that the fishing was slow but dang, 2 steelies ain't bad. im fixin to go back this weekend sisnce we have a three day weekend off from WSU. -ryan

13. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Nice fish. Glad to hear not only were others out and fishing this weekend but that you caught something as well. That is what its all about.

14. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    Hey Ryan...ya I remember the rig...you guys had a little fire going on the outside bend right below our little rock filled run? The gear guy that was with us had two total and us "fly guys" had one each so 4 total...not bad?? I have never done good up that far?? Right below that takeout is a decent stretch but no luck there this weekend.

Im thinking about heading down again this coming weekend?? It all depends on the flow and weather?? Maybe we could hook up in Pullman or down on the river?? Drop me an email if you'd like.

pwoens1@yahoo.com

~Patrick ><>

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Way to go :thumb :beer2