THE OTHER UMPQUA, SMALLMOUTH BASS

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by GAT, Nov 3, 2013.

1. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

You are correct...how do you get rid of them now??

They did increase the limit last year.

I feel it should be "no Limit"...but then the BIG K RANCH (and its lobby money) will have to find another "marketing opportunity".

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The Big K section encourages C&R for the bass... but I don't know how they can force that stance.

When I wrote the article back in the round tube days, there was no limit. As far as I can tell, the bass organizations (B.A.S.S.) pushed for a limit and somewhere along the way managed to pull it off. There should be no limit.

I'm not sure what the regs are for the John Day. The same situation exists in that fishery.
    You have the anadromous fish and the resident redbands duking it out with the bass.

Bottomline: the bass are there and they are not going away. Might as well flyfish for them if you're into it.

3. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Good stuff !!!

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Excellent, Gene! Thanks for sharing this. 2 Smallies at a time would be an adventure; bringing in 2 of those spastic fish, both just waiting to explode at tube-side would be an adventure in a float tube, lol. Back in my Rapala days, I've both experienced & witnessed more than one punctured thumb & scuttled tube; it was all fun!

5. Salmon Candy

Salmon Candy Member

Gene ties a mean pencil pooper which will be included in my Fly Fishing For Western Smallmouth book published by Stackpole books July 2014. For more info on the Umpqua check out my article in January/February issue of Northwest Fly Fishing.

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Thanks, David. I look forward to the publication of your book. I'll also need to check out your article. Is the by-line "Salmon Candy" :)