The Pink run is over

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Matt Burke, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    this past week i've begun believing the same theory

2. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

My thoughts exactly. But it's all good. Still fun to play with. Just aint gonna limit out this year. South Sound may be better cuz I don't recall them getting hit hard by rain in OCT. '05 or they may be all out at Neah Bay waiting for George W's impeachment. No stress dudes, just can't catch all four in the first 15 minutes like last time.

3. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

Ha Ha - That's funny I have seen her too (Granny). In fact, last Friday I saw her land a fish.

4. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

talking to the people with boats, they say that out in the salt alot of people are fishing way deep now for pinks. marking fish at over 100 feet down. so maybe when they decide to move to fresh water they dont follow the beaches just go straight to the rivers. also alot of pinks still being taken out on the coast. just waiting for the second group to show! not dead yet.

5. wolverine

wolverine Member

We have hopes for 3 million pinks in Puget Sound. The Fraser river & its tribs are forecasted for 18 million.

6. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Matt, a reasonable account for the facts so far, one that I've been kicking around some as well. Definitely an atypical run compared with 2005. Boats out of Mukilteo have been averaging ONE per boat.

Personally though, I hold on to hope that, any day now, the bulk of the run will be coming around Possession Pt with a vengeance. I'm simply not ready to close the books on this one yet, especially since I don't chase them up the rivers. So far it has been a modest disappointment.

7. pastorbrian

pastorbrian Member

I saw her too! Not today, but when I was leaving there was a lady watching her (presumed) husband fish.
    My wife can't wait for me to leave, and she was out there just watching!

I saw quite a few caught from 5 to 6:30, then....nada!

8. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

I dunno. I was fishing the Sky and Sno in early - mid October 2005 and was still catching the rare incidental humpy. My guess would be if they were still willing to hit sculpins and kinney spiders in SRC colors they still hadn't spawned. There were still a lot of carcases which would lead me to guess that they were recently deceased since they hadn't been washed out that first week of october.

I do have one question that is sort of related. Where are all of the f-ing steelhead smolt? I've been out 3 times the last week and have seen one smolt. Countem, Uno! 2005 the water was thick with them picking bits of humpy guts off of the rocks.

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

How come she was chucking them in to her skirt and knitted scarf? :confused: :D

Just funnin' with you . . .

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

By the way, there are a LOT of pinks that aren't in the Puget Sound yet. I was at Sekiu over the weekend, and there were gobs and gobs of pinks. They could have been all going to BC/Frasier system, but I bet there has to be some coming here, as well. :D

11. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

yes i will second this... we were at neah bay 16-19th and the pinks were THICK! inside the straights they were all we caught we even went out to swiftsure and farther out and were still catching them along with the silvers.... the pink run may come in a few different bunches... i remember in 2005 i slammed quite a few up in bellingham around the last few days of august then i came down and fished the puyallup system and caught them all the way til the 2nd or 3rd week of october... with bright fish being caught then... which means many of those fish must have been late arrivers.. with as many fish as are projected to return... they wont all make it back at the same exact time!... Also in 2005 i fished in the salt around port susan and saw schools of pinks around the 2nd week of september.

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

There were 3-4 inch fry of some kind jumping all up and down the sky when I floated it on Saturday. Were they steelhead you think???

13. tyler

tyler Member

From WDFW’s August 8-21 Weekender Report…

With summer at its midpoint, salmon fishing is now in full swing from the Pacific coast to the upper Columbia River. Hundreds of thousands of fish are on the move, pressing into Puget Sound and other "inside" waters from the ocean and creating a variety of fishing options for anglers.

"Savvy anglers follow the fish," said Steve Thiesfeld, a fish biologist for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). "You want to be fishing where the salmon are, not where they were."

"Humpy Hollow," a portion of Puget Sound stretching from Shipwreck to Mukilteo, should be a good bet in the next few weeks for anglers who want to catch pink salmon, Thiesfeld said. Fish biologists are predicting that 3.3 million pink salmon - also known as "humpies" - will enter Puget Sound this year and a good portion of them will pass through those waters, he said.

"We expect a big push of pink salmon in the next couple of weeks, and Humpy Hollow is traditionally the best place to be when those fish head for the region's rivers," Thiesfeld said.

14. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Tyler, I read that report too, and really hope it's spot on. However, my journal from 2005 recorded an average of 7 pinks 'landed' most every morning over 2.5 hours starting 8/18/07 continuing for the next 10 days. Hopefully the run is coming, but the timing is off this year compared to 2005.

By the way, I caught my first pink of the year from a Snohomish Co beach during the first week of July. I'm sure those early pods are well up river by now.

15. springer125

springer125 Member

I dont know if there is more coming or what, but i do know the ones that were in the south sound are gone. I hit them from all angles this past weekend trolling on down riggers and working the shorelines with the 8 weight. The only pinks that we caught were on the fly working the shorlines so i dont think that they are out in deeper water. By monday afternoon i didnt see anyaction. Saw a fish caught off the clay banks on monday afternoon and a nice king off of rodondo but no pinks... Hopefully they are just taking there time.... and for the projections of 3.3 million by WDFW i take that with a grain of salt... I have to many memories from last year of waiting around for there so called historic run of silvers... :beathead: