The Pink run is over

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Matt Burke, Aug 21, 2007.

1. PT

PT Physhicist

Buddy and his friend hit 70-80 fish off Bush Pt last night with buzz bombs. I dont think the run is over quite yet.:thumb:

2. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Actually, jack salmon are sexually mature male salmon, often shockingly so for their size. But, they return to their natal rivers a year or more before normal and therefore at a smaller size. They use an alternative mating strategy of hanging around pair of larger salmon and rushing in with a cloud of sperm when the pair are in the act of spawning. They hope that by volume alone they can fertilize some of the eggs of large females who would normally ignore them.

Parenthetically, in some Atlantic salmon popululations in Canada, male parr can become sexually active with over half their body weight as testes. They also use the same type of sneaking / streaking strategy. Both the jack and mature parr stategies are successful if there aren't that many full size males around to push them out of the prime spawning habitat.

Steve

3. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman Strip'n Flywear

Home Page:
    cockblockers!

4. slippery_whippet

slippery_whippet Member

Hey all,

Thanks for the edification, my inferior Oregon upbringing had left me stupefied as to the correct Puget Sound terminology. BTW ran into pods of pinks yesterday down low on a north sound S river just after high tide. They are still coming!