The Pinprick!

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by johnk, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

johnk, thanks for joining the forum and sharing your patterns, great stuff. As a die hard indicator guy, I can truly appreciate a good mid.

2. generic

generic Justified

Never been an indicator guy myself, but I have a funny feeling this coming spring is going to change all that!

3. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe

ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Active Member

Johnk: thks for sharing. Nice fishing story and a very nice fly.

Btw, what's your preferred method for fishing this fly?

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Mike,
    I agree. I tried CCG which claimed to be tack free but it wasn't. Maybe they finally got it right with Hydro.
    Board member Silvercreek sells a tack free uv product I've been using for awhile now. It is tack free and his light is way more powerful then my CCG light.
    SF

Mike Ediger likes this.
  5. tkww

tkww Member

I just got silvercreek's stuff, and I like it. I'm not sure I'd call it tack-free--it still has some sort of feeling to the skin when touched. But--and this is important--it doesn't lose it's shine when it's touched. It may not feel like it looks, but it's the look that matters, and this stuff stays shiny after being cured.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/best-non-tacky-resin.92990/

[quote="johnk, post: 909767, member: 7968"}Very simple pattern, two colours of UTC70 thread (Wood Duck and Rust), silver or brown beadhead and silver wire rib. The posterior gills are not necessary as I've tied them with and without and haven't noticed any difference.[/quote]

Johnk, thanks for posting some of your patterns. I really like the looks of them! Question: is the wood duck thread the abdomen and the rust thread the thorax? I think I'm seeing a color change there, but the body also looks a little multi-colored.

Mike Ediger likes this.
  6. johnk

johnk Active Member

Johnk, thanks for posting some of your patterns. I really like the looks of them! Question: is the wood duck thread the abdomen and the rust thread the thorax? I think I'm seeing a color change there, but the body also looks a little multi-colored.[/quote]

Yes, wood duck for the abdomen. Hard to notice with the shine.

tkww likes this.
  7. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Well I may have to give something another shot. Either Silvercreeks stuff as I have talked to him before, or CCG Hydro.

8. jwg

jwg Active Member

UV cure resins can be pretty thick for applying to a chironomid pattern, at least thats the case for what I have used.

So I prefer SHHN for chironomids. Use a new bottle, be sure to drain and wipe excess off the brush and the stem of the brush before applying, then apply liberally, but quickly wick off the excess by touching the underside and letting the excess drain off. The surface tension while its still fluid should pull it into an even coating. You cannot dawdle or apply over and over again for this approach to work.

When using UV cure resins, there are two ways to overcome tackiness. It stays tacky on the surface because oxygen inhibits the curing reaction. So for patterns where it makes sense, like a thorax back, or scud back, you can cover the resin with some clear plastic wrap and then cure it through the plastic, and pull the plastic off. Or you can cure it normally but then take it outside in the sun. The sunlight is so much more intense, it can promote the cure even if the surface is exposed to the air.

Jay